This will not end well.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bakerjw, Feb 20, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I bought a top brand incubator for over $150.00 and it will not hold the temps worth a darn. From 104 this morning to 92 this evening I am more than disgusted. And this is after having to build a foam insulating box to cover it to help soften ambient temperature changes. That said it is not a brand that is a foam box. I have 40 eggs in it at the moment and luckily I only bought 12 White Rock eggs for $16.00 so I am not out that much. All I can do now is try to keep on top of the temps and hope for the best. Before demanding a refund of the manufacturer.

Sorry. I had to vent somewhere.

I do have a large Omaha steaks styrofoam box that I think will be getting converted into an incubator. Luckily I work as a electrical engineer for Siemens so I can integrate an RTD temperature sensor into my PLC home control system and keep the temperature rock solid in the future. And I can do that for a whole lot less than I paid for this #$^^[email protected]! incubator.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Why not warn us all and tell us what you bought?

Have you contacted the company to tell them?

3. bsee4u

bsee4u Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    As a fellow engineer (Electrical) I bought a Brinsea after much studying. That make is absolutely rock solid, I can count on one hand where the temp. deviation got to 99.6 in my first and so far into my second hatch. I also have a styrofoam cooler from Omaha, I plan to make that into a bigger incubator once I get a good handle from my Brinsea. I have the Mini Advance so I can only do 7 eggs at a time right now, but once I have the feel for incubation, I plan to build and do more at one time.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It sounds like the wafer thermostat is bad. replace it & try again. [​IMG]

5. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Quote:x2

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    is it the top hatch with the light bulb, that thing is a piece of junk, kept mine for 5 min and it went back to the store, if its not stay away from that one too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by