This year my turkeys are really strange

flocksalot

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Poynette WI
I got my turkeys the first week of May this year (about a month later than normal). At two days old they we strutting around and would try to gobble, which came out peep peep peep. I knew right away that I had 11 little tommys. They grew and matured very quickly this year. They are also taller than I have ever had a turkey get. Right now they are all over 20 lb with most in the 30 lb range. I have one hen that kicks the snot out of all the toms. She will stand up and start talking to a tom and then grab them and beat the tar out of them. She's sweet as pie with us. Guess she just does't like boys yet. But the weirdest thing is the tommy's mating air. I know that sounds weird but that is exactly what they do. Once in a while they will attempt to mate an object, but mostly they just wiggle and jiggle with the air between their legs. Today one of them stood on top of a plant stand and went to town. My 7 year old said he thought he looked like he was surfing. It's quit embarassing as we are building a house and the turkeys are always up there protecting me. Big boy wont let me go anywhere without him and all the others follow. That I'm used to. I love turkeys and turkeys love me, but the mating air is kind a freaking me out. Has anyone ever seen this before? All my turkeys are together, so the girls are there just not interested in the boys. I should mention these are BBW. Got any ideas?

my BBW are doing the same thing, lol.....this is my first year with turkeys to be honest, and I thought its just inexperience and them going through their hormonal stages, the girls are not interested in them at all, I have 2 toms and 9 hens, and the toms are very protective of the hens. and they just love us, follow us everywhere. but from everything that I read I was not expecting these turkeys to get so tall as well. I have seen many many turkeys before but these are beasts!!! they get plenty of exercise, they have a really big enclosed run and an open run and they go out to forage every single day. I got mine first week of june but the toms are already about 20 something lbs, I figure if I had not given them running room they would have been heavier.

but I am also having a secondary issue which I am not even sure its normal or not. but at this age aren't turkeys supposed to be fully feathered out? some of my turkeys are still missing a lot of feathers under their wings etc...they look scruffy to be honest. but they are fed real well, and cared for real well too.

anyways the mating air thing, I have no clue but I have seen it in mine too, kid of weird if you ask me...I just keep telling myself they will master it eventually LOL. At least they better by next spring cause I want them to have some babies.

Ema

Ivan thanks, I've had turkeys all my life and never seen this before. I spend much more time with my turkeys than I do my chickens, so I'm really surprised that I have never seen it. One of the toms has gotten so crazy wiggly that we changed his name to Elvis.

Ema you do know that BBW can't mate naturally don't you. Last fall one of my toms got frisky and started climbing on the hens. He was much to heavy and his claws sliced all the way down to the bone. I had to butcher the poor thing. Tom was 42 lb dressed out Samantha was 28. AI isn't real complicated, but it does take two people to start with. Actually I wouldn't do it by myself ever as those boys are just to big for me. After we get our house built I may keep a few hens and a tom, but for now they are all slated for the table.

Back
Top Bottom