This years spring chickens with last years - integration tips please.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kaugomu, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Kaugomu

Kaugomu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    We currently have 3 hens, a RSL, EE, and a BR who will be a year old in June and are our first chickens. Well, I loved them so much that I managed to convince my has and to let me grow our flock this year, so the week of April 30 we will be getting babies 1 each of blue splash moran, partridge rock, speckled Sussex, and another EE. Our RSL is top hen in the pecking order cure toy, and can be a bit of a bully despite also being the most socialized of our girls.

I read this article here about integration tips (https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-integrate-your-chicken-flock-the-easy-way) and we will be looking at putting our new girls out as soon as they are ready both to acclimate them to the rapidly aproching heat come our way here in south central Texas, as well as to hopefully speed the integration process. What will probably do is put our new girls in the run during the day while our big girls free range, and then bring the babies back in at night for a few weeks or so and hope that allowing them to get familiar with each other through our hardware cloth will do the trick.

I'd really love more advice, ideas, suggestions, or ways to know when they are "ready" to fully co-mingle.

TIA

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Sounds like a good basic plan. I'd start co-mingling during free range in the evening, for an hour or so. At about eight weeks they should be old enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by