Thompson water seal, ok for chickens?

simi33

Songster
10 Years
Dec 19, 2013
Tampa, Florida
I have a 6 foot wooden backyard fence that my chickens roam in and I need to spray it with water seal. I was thinking Thompson's water seal but I am scared to use it because some of that product will run on the bottom of the fence and touch the grass that the chickens might eat. Is it deadly to chickens? Should I use a different product?

I'll recommend using a different product only because a water seal doesn't hold up. You'd be painting your fence every year with this type of product. I'd use a deck and fence stain. Comes in toners so you can even use a natural finish. Comes in oil or modified oil (water clean up) and acrylic (latex). No product is good to ingest until it dries so if you can find it get the oil or at least modified for better durability.

Once any of these products dries they are basically inert. Will pass through a chickens system if for some reason they wanted to eat some. Keep the birds locked in run for a day.

I'll recommend using a different product only because a water seal doesn't hold up. You'd be painting your fence every year with this type of product. I'd use a deck and fence stain. Comes in toners so you can even use a natural finish. Comes in oil or modified oil (water clean up) and acrylic (latex). No product is good to ingest until it dries so if you can find it get the oil or at least modified for better durability.

Once any of these products dries they are basically inert. Will pass through a chickens system if for some reason they wanted to eat some. Keep the birds locked in run for a day.
Thank you for answering. What is the name of the ''deck and fence stain'' you use? I have 340 feet of 6 foot fence to spray and I was trying to keep it on the budget. I also live in Florida and I was told that I should really spray my fence because it won't last more than 6-7 years if I don't. It's good to know that when the product dries it passes through the chicken's system...

I've no idea what is available in your area. Look around locally as to what you have and do a google search for reviews. Your budget, availability...sky's the limit as to what you'll use. Just don't use real junk like water sealer as it will only last a year full protection. Say you get a Cabot Stain toner it will last 3-4 years full protection. If you don't mind semi transparent stains you'll get another year and still only use one coat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom