Those of you that don't use artifical light

Down here in Georgia I'm still gettin eggs. Some days 5, some days 3 from 6 layers. During the summer they were regular but now very sporadic. My seventh one is with the chicks. She's not laying.
smile.png

Do you have a homogeneous flock? Same breed, same age?

My flock is mixed. Some breeds (EE, Polish) are resting, some (SLW) slowed and some (BR, RIR) unabated. Same with my older birds.

No heat and no artificial lights, just a tight coop with vents and lots of windows.

I understand pullets laying through the winter without artificial light. Mine did last winter as well. None of the four are laying this winter. Three had hard molts, but have been done for a while and look good now. One had a not-so-hard molt.
But you are saying that your older hens are also laying through the winter? Is there something special that you are doing? I had just assumed that without artificial light, I would be waiting until spring. And I'm okay with that, but just curious as to what other factors might be at play.
I feed mine layer feed with extras of dried meal worms, greens and BOSS.

I have 6 pullets(3BO and 3 CQ) that are laying and 6 RIRs and 4 BRs that have gone thru adult molt and I get anywhere between 6 and 13 eggs a day. no light and no heat except for the water.

Last edited:
As far a breaks to do shorter days........I don't have a lag period, just a slow down. Other factors affect egg production other than just light. All of the rain and crazy temps have got my hens all messed up. But I still get enough for around the house.
smile.png
I have a variety of ages.....10months-2yrs. and every one takes their turn. It seems like they are all rotating who will lay, when, and for how long.
roll.png

My BPRs were 1-year in November and they lay every other day with an occasional additional egg thrown in the mix.
My 'Ideal 236' (leghorn hybrid) started in October and she lays 6 a week now.
My star performer Gold sex-link is molting -- so my usual egg-a-day producer is off-line right now.

No artificial light. Our weather has been mild. Just due to dip below freezing for the second time this winter on Thursday of this week.

We actually have enough eggs with this arrangement. This is my first winter with Chickens. I am glad that I added the Ideal 236 this fall though.

6chickens in St. Charles :

I wonder if there's any scientific data about this phenomenon? Maybe we're not supposed to eat rich eggs while its cold & dark and we're less active? ....

Perhaps, but I'm more active in winter than summer. I can't stand heat.

I do subscribe to the slow food/local food issue though.​

Back
Top Bottom