Update: did not make it - Thought egg was dead, opened and it's alive, any chance??

Can I see a pic of your incubator?
It's a Nurture Right 360 and never mind the display reading, according to two Govee thermometers it's been off a bit on temp and humidity both. Incubated it's close to 99.5 as I could and 50% humidity. Was concerned about small air sacs upon candling but six chicks hatched out and are cute and rambunctious. Malpositioning is my best guess for this one not even internally pipping but like I said, first timer and can't really know yet!

Attachments

• PXL_20240512_170944166.jpg
    PXL_20240512_170944166.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240512_170936534.jpg
    PXL_20240512_170936534.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 1
70% humidity will be plenty as the chick also needs oxigen for muscle function to be able to work itself out of the shell.

The higher the humidity the less oxigen will be carried by the air inside your incubator.

Can I see a pic of your incubator?
I moved the paper towel a bit since humidity was high anyway, it didn't drop below 70% and I can see in the egg a tiny bit again. The paper towel is starting to dry though, will the chick get too dry humidity in the 70s? Also don't know if it is positioned able to breathe air and therefore if it's going to be able to hatch. I imagine with each day it gets weaker as it loses nutrition but I don't want to risk ripping more membrane if its blood isn't soaked in yet. So hard to know what to do. 🤦‍♀️🙏

70% humidity will be plenty as the chick also needs oxigen for muscle function to be able to work itself out of the shell.

The higher the humidity the less oxigen will be carried by the air inside your incubator.
Ooh, excellent to know, thank you! The paper towel is starting to dry out and to drop humidity a touch I opened it to move it so I could see in. Just not sure if it's positioned to actually breathe, but it has space to move now if it chooses to. The egg never rocked that I could see and it was barely moving even when I broke into it. Another egg that didn't move hatched just fine so I know that's how it goes sometimes, but I'm just not sure what's up with this one. ♥️

Well now that I can see it looks like the membrane I tore has sucked to the chick and I doubt it can breathe like that. Don't know if it has passed or not but I'm going to take it into a steamy shower and take a look because it probably won't do harm at this point anyway and maybe I can at least create an airspace.

It's a Nurture Right 360 and never mind the display reading, according to two Govee thermometers it's been off a bit on temp and humidity both. Incubated it's close to 99.5 as I could and 50% humidity. Was concerned about small air sacs upon candling but six chicks hatched out and are cute and rambunctious. Malpositioning is my best guess for this one not even internally pipping but like I said, first timer and can't really know yet!
Ok, thank you. it looks like the same style as my Brinsea incubator. open the little hole in the sides, to provide good ventilation

Ok, thank you. it looks like the same style as my Brinsea incubator. open the little hole in the sides, to provide good ventilation
Air vents were fully open for the entire lockdown. Unfortunately after seeing no movement I decided I needed to just see what happened and the chick had indeed died. I am prepared to face that it was my fault from tearing the membrane because most of the inside was still lined with veining, but I also found that even though the chick had its beak under the right wing it was nowhere near the air cell, near the opposite end of the egg. I don't know if it was just days behind for whatever reason and would have moved toward the air or what but the yolk was also recently fully absorbed and it even looked like there was some excrement. I have pictures if there's any wish to see it in an appropriate place to post. Would love to learn as much as I can. 💔♥️ Thank you again for all the support!!

Back
Top Bottom