Urgent - 1 left to hatch, no pip?

BerthaBoo

Chirping
Apr 28, 2023
Alberta, Canada
Hi all, day 22 here, had a broody sitting on a nest on 7 eggs, 5 have fully hatched by yesterday morning. I decided to lift up momma's chest to took a look at the last two. One dead, likely before the 11th day when I last candled as even then I wasn't sure. I tossed that one. The other I candled and could see movement and it looked like it had internally pipped, but yet to externally pip. I decided to pull off pieces of the shell around the air cell to see what was going on, especially since the air cell is long and irregularly shaped in this egg.

I have the air cell opened up, and I put coconut oil on the membrane. Still lots of veins, and I can see the chick opening and closing her beak, so I'm assuming she's still absorbing yolk? My question now is since it's already day 22 and the hatched chicks are super active - should I pop this one into the incubator to finish the hatch? I'm worried that since I've now exposed veins that if the other chicks knick her veins she could bleed out.
I'm also not sure if she's malpositioned, since I'm fairly new to this and haven't had to assist before (and potentially shouldn't have here, but day 22 and it looked like she had internally pipped so).

Hi all, day 22 here, had a broody sitting on a nest on 7 eggs, 5 have fully hatched by yesterday morning. I decided to lift up momma's chest to took a look at the last two. One dead, likely before the 11th day when I last candled as even then I wasn't sure. I tossed that one. The other I candled and could see movement and it looked like it had internally pipped, but yet to externally pip. I decided to pull off pieces of the shell around the air cell to see what was going on, especially since the air cell is long and irregularly shaped in this egg.

I have the air cell opened up, and I put coconut oil on the membrane. Still lots of veins, and I can see the chick opening and closing her beak, so I'm assuming she's still absorbing yolk? My question now is since it's already day 22 and the hatched chicks are super active - should I pop this one into the incubator to finish the hatch? I'm worried that since I've now exposed veins that if the other chicks knick her veins she could bleed out.
I'm also not sure if she's malpositioned, since I'm fairly new to this and haven't had to assist before (and potentially shouldn't have here, but day 22 and it looked like she had internally pipped so).
I would put in incubator as mother hen probable is done with nest and may not sit on egg to hatch.

Does she look okay or is she positioned wrong? I actually ended up snipping a tiny piece of the membrane near her beak as she hadn’t internally pipped yet. Every now and then she moves a bit and opens her beak and swallows, so I’m assuming she’s still absorbing yolk.

I’ve moved her into the incubator since momma went back to the nest but was moving a lot.
83A9D64A-157D-4CF9-AAAF-D18A5E755521.jpeg

Does she look okay or is she positioned wrong? I actually ended up snipping a tiny piece of the membrane near her beak as she hadn’t internally pipped yet. Every now and then she moves a bit and opens her beak and swallows, so I’m assuming she’s still absorbing yolk.

I’ve moved her into the incubator since momma went back to the nest but was moving a lot.
View attachment 3778047
Hey what ended up happening? I'm in the same situation :(

View attachment 3778047

Update?

Hey what ended up happening? I'm in the same situation :(
How did your chick turn out? I have one who looks similar, no internal pip, still moving, some veins still on the membrane. I have coconut oil on the membrane, but wondering if I should make a hole in it so the chick can breathe. It's about day 22 1/2

Back
Top Bottom