Thought I had the math under control... then I got suddenly better at hatching, which made me want to buy more to hatch from... the math is strong

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I was new to chickens in 2020, but not new to birds. I used to raise, breed, and sell parakeets as a kid.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
The first group I'll call "Hardy in my worst setup purebreds" which I have enough for breeding flocks and am moving into separate isolated clans this year:
-Silver Laced Wyandotte (the most survivable, as they can become tree chickens that frequent the tops of the few ornamental fruit trees I have. They still have all their original roosters even though the Bielefelders originally outnumbered them by a factor of 10)
-Barnvelder(no losses yet in 3 years, knock on wood, soft opalescent feathers, Jumbo chocolate color eggs, none of their own roosters either until this year though)

The next is "Purebreds with risks" where I may have pairs to hatch with and would try to breed them, but there are a lot of risks, and it doesn't always work out:
-Bresse(assuming I finally get more than 2 roosters from this years batch, last year's purchases were genetically shallow and defected, 1st year breeder hens still going strong even though there's no adult roosters due to a single hawk attack, so for now they free range with the rest of them)
-Crevecouer(trying these out, same risks as Bresse as a recovering breed so these are project development birds, probably won't free ranging until I see how they act among the others, got them for the meat-to-bone ratio plus delicate short fiber breast meat, which are traits I eventually want to add into my hybrid free rangers)
-Delaware Production Blue (trying these out, so far so good, had good grow-out producing fleshy birds so far)
-Bielefelder (I won't buy new ones as these did not do well here. Their roosters are gentle giants and guard their girls, but hens lay small or medium eggs, they don't look good on the table even if they are big, they are slow to react to predators and the hens randomly keel over when everyone else is fine. The ones still in my flock have proven themselves so I'll continue them, as 2/3 of the Roosters that take the hens on patrol far from the coop or to the stream are these Bielefelders. But they also started with 10x what's left. Their hybrids do well, but no more purchased ones for me)
Other purchased breeds which I may get more at some point: Welsummer, Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red, Buff Cochin
Previously had breeds which I may get again, that did well and are in my hybrids, but lost out to high pressure and low numbers: 1 very hardy Sanjack Longcrower hen and 1 vigorous Houdan that would stand guard over the broody hens, who stamped his genetics into more than 50% of my birds, since he was the only vigorous and fertile of 2 roosters through all of year 1 and the first half of year 2.
Purchased breeds that I won't get more: Dark Cornish, Silver Brahma, a Buff Brahma was the odd one out with featherless legs but also the only survivor

After the first 2 years which included a hot, long, harsh drought, then the Great Texas Freeze that shut down Texas, all while suffering persistent heavy hawk and coyote pressure ( at one point was losing a chicken every 2 days to ambush), I am just now finally confident in the hardiness of my free rangers and their hybrid children in this setup, but proud of how hardy my birds are now, so I am hatching more of them.
(Also, my neighbor shot the coyote that was ambushing my chickens from his property, spending a max of 10 seconds on my property each time. Neighbor fencing has gone up on the other side too, and we're no longer in drought, so we are finally 2 months into seeing little to no predator losses.)
Notable hybrids:
-Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, and black-skinned Fibro-melanistic Olive Eggers, as well as Rose egg layers and Orange tinted speckled egg layers.
-Houdan-Bresse (called Hellspawn by my kids, they are bearded with muffs and have antler combs that look like a V comb made from 2 straight combs, they are the rose egg layers)
-a big Bresse-Bielefelder diluted in color to be a heavily white and light cuckoo who is big, fast, and watchful and is the free-range rooster-in-charge
-a Bielefelder-Wyandotte rooster presenting as barred red wild-type with rose comb whom I can use to make sex links with the SL Wyandottes... and my wife says it makes sounds like an elephant
-a hen my kids call Silver Legs who presents as a Bresse with very diluted whitish blue silver legs with a touch of buff and black bleed-through on her wings
-Silver legs had a chick, probably with rooster-in-charge that is completely diluted white: white beak, white feet, white skin, white comb with white crest and earmuffs
-the dark cuckoo Bresse-Houdan-Bielefelder rooster with ear muffs in my profile pic
-many solid or mostly solid black darkened children of the Bresse-Houdan-Bielefelder dark cuckoo rooster (called devil chickens by my kids because they were protective of the other chicks as they were growing out, savaging any stick you used to get the gunk out of their water. They don't attack you though, and have mellowed since they started free ranging.) All have white skin but everything else is black: black comb, black feet, and black beak. One of them is crested and solid black and was immediately opalescent upon getting its first feathers. Some have an unpigmented white middle toe and white middle claw to go with it, which is a defect in Crevecouer I'm looking for more info on, but I had no Crevecouer when I started getting these, they're just from a similar breed location history. Some are solid black. Some are black with a single red mottle on their breast. Some are from Silver Laced Wyandotte hen crosses and grow up into silvery black laced grey colors.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Eggs. Breeding and hatching baby chicks. The sounds. How the roosters will nobly charge a predator and give their lives to protect the hens, the cats can give the chickens presents instead of me, and how they keep the grass short near the house.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Farm chores, drones, computers, electronics, metalworking, kiln work.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Wife and 2 kids with 1 away at college who is almost done with his master's. We have dogs, lots of cats, a couple of goats, and a few bunnies.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
It kept coming up as the only and final place I could find answers to questions about my chickens. I've known for about 6-8 months. I kept finding more answers here and would like a chance to pose a question now and then.
Welcome to BYC!!

Hi and welcome to BYC; so glad you joined! I love your thread title, and you had me at "I currently have 338 chickens"! I would love to see pictures of your crosses; specifically the Silver Legs/Rooster in Charge chick, and the Breese/Houdan/Bielefelder mixes, but no doubt all of your crosses/results are very visually interesting. Chickens are mixes until they breed true, then they are a new breed! There are true genetics geniuses on the Exhibition, Genetics and Breeding to the SOP forum, and they are very helpful. By your introduction you obviously have enough knowledge to answer some questions from others yourself. Enjoy your chicken journey, and the fun of seeing what colors and varieties hatch out of all those eggs!

Hi and welcome to BYC; so glad you joined! I love your thread title, and you had me at "I currently have 338 chickens"! I would love to see pictures of your crosses; specifically the Silver Legs/Rooster in Charge chick, and the Breese/Houdan/Bielefelder mixes, but no doubt all of your crosses/results are very visually interesting. Chickens are mixes until they breed true, then they are a new breed! There are true genetics geniuses on the Exhibition, Genetics and Breeding to the SOP forum, and they are very helpful. By your introduction you obviously have enough knowledge to answer some questions from others yourself. Enjoy your chicken journey, and the fun of seeing what colors and varieties hatch out of all those eggs!
Thanks! The first 4 pics are of the 9 week old all white pullet. For comparison, pic 5 is of one with yellow legs and less dilution and pic 6 and 7 are of the black ones. Pic 8 is fairly typical of the Bresse/Bielefeder and the ones that are also more dilute Houdan crosses. Pic 9 is an original straight Bresse/Houdan cross which all came out with antler combs. Pic 10 isn't a Bresse, but it's a Barnvelder/Bielefelder that I love the colors on. Pic 11 is the new black one with opalescence. Pic 12 is a better pic of the dark cuckoo Bresse/Houdan/Bielefelder Rooster (possibly got it's dark from a former Dark Bresse I had, that was only laying a couple months before she got taken, I don't see sign of the Dark Cornish and my Fibro Melanistic EEs are still only 9 weeks old cockerels). Pic 13 is Silver Legs with a barely there beard and muffs, Pic 14 is rooster-in-charge. Pic 15 is a standard Bielefelder that can make it here for comparison. Pic 16 was my longcrower with a wet crest that highlighted her mohawk. Pic 17 are Chief and Freckles, the original Houdan and infertile but super sweet Bielefelder. Pic 18 is a tree chicken. Pic 19 is Chief guarding a broody hen. Pic 20 is a Bielefeder kitten sitting while mom hunts. And pic 21 is an example of the opalescence on the Barnvelder hens.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230612_124803_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_124803_Gallery.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230612_123858_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_123858_Gallery.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230610_225435_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_225435_Gallery.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230612_123802_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_123802_Gallery.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230612_123546_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_123546_Gallery.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230612_123707_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_123707_Gallery.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230612_124209_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230612_124209_Gallery.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230610_230408_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_230408_Gallery.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230610_234933_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_234933_Gallery.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230610_233239_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_233239_Gallery.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230610_221701_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_221701_Gallery.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230503_185450.jpg
    20230503_185450.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230512_121724.jpg
    20230512_121724.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230610_215757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_215757_Gallery.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230611_001708_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_001708_Gallery.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230611_004831_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_004831_Gallery.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230611_010756_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_010756_Gallery.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230611_003809_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_003809_Gallery.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230611_004430_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_004430_Gallery.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230611_003403_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_003403_Gallery.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230611_005501_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_005501_Gallery.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks! The first 4 pics are of the 9 week old all white pullet. For comparison, pic 5 is of one with yellow legs and less dilution and pic 6 and 7 are of the black ones. Pic 8 is fairly typical of the Bresse/Bielefeder and the ones that are also more dilute Houdan crosses. Pic 9 is an original straight Bresse/Houdan cross which all came out with antler combs. Pic 10 isn't a Bresse, but it's a Barnvelder/Bielefelder that I love the colors on. Pic 11 is the new black one with opalescence. Pic 12 is a better pic of the dark cuckoo Bresse/Houdan/Bielefelder Rooster (possibly got it's dark from a former Dark Bresse I had, that was only laying a couple months before she got taken, I don't see sign of the Dark Cornish and my Fibro Melanistic EEs are still only 9 weeks old cockerels). Pic 13 is Silver Legs with a barely there beard and muffs, Pic 14 is rooster-in-charge. Pic 15 is a standard Bielefelder that can make it here for comparison. Pic 16 was my longcrower with a wet crest that highlighted her mohawk. Pic 17 are Chief and Freckles, the original Houdan and infertile but super sweet Bielefelder. Pic 18 is a tree chicken. Pic 19 is Chief guarding a broody hen. Pic 20 is a Bielefeder kitten sitting while mom hunts. And pic 21 is an example of the opalescence on the Barnvelder hens.
Have to correct myself on pic 10 description. Was thinking about Bielefelders and messed myself up. I'm pretty certain that's a Barnvelder/Silver Laced Wyandotte cross.

Back
Top Bottom