Thought I heard the egg song...

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I heard a "bawk bawk bawgawk!" outside and I ran out to see what it was. I think it was Fiona, the oldest, making the loud noises. She does have the largest red comb. All of them are around 18 wk old white leghorns. She also squats. Her and the others who have large combs are also quite vocal. There are decoy eggs in the boxes. Do ready-to-lay chickens make quite a bit of noise?

Yes they do.

I hope you get eggs soon
smile.png

I hope so! They also kinda scream like "raawwwwww" like they're mad. I forgot to mention that they make these noises, even the egg song I heard, when they want to come back out to roam.

Our sussex crosses have just started laying - one was 3/4 weeks ago and the other started on Monday! She sings the egg song like there is no tomorrow. Regrettably, she is laying on the lawn and not the nest box ( I have started a thread in a different section seeking advice on this) but she also sings early in the morning when she wants to come out to roam. Another problem as it is so loud she might aswell be a rooster heralding in the new dawn. Korala, the more mature hen, simply ignores her sister and remains quiet but Korma makes a lot of noise! I think its fairly usual though we are hoping she grows out of it and learns to lay in the nest boxes. Good luck with the first egg - its v exciting when you get your first one and it is sooo tiny!

Two of my girls have been laying for three weeks now. The "egg song" heralds an egg every time. Unfortunately, it's not just the egg laying hens that are singing it...my rooster joins in as well...so I've got three very loud egg songs going on every day. Sigh. At least I know when it's time to go out and get the eggs!

Here's a video I took before I got my first egg. Zeus, my cockerel, is guarding the girl about to lay (Sansa). Boring Girl is out in the run on the ramp, making her own egg song. At around 1:15 in the video, you can hear Zeus singing the egg song along with Boring Girl. This is what I hear every day, three times or more a day (since now I've got three girls laying).

WOW they are noisy! Mine are like church chickens compared to yours! I guess that will all change when mine finally start to lay.

Back
Top Bottom