Thought is was molting but I guess not.

Brian Purcell

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 28, 2017
Zephyrhills, FL
B1F797E1-9F93-4D58-A1B2-3397E74DC6B3.jpeg

I have five girls and one Roo and a decent size coop with a run. They all look great except this one. She’s been like this for 6+ months. I don’t see any bugs and the coop is kept pretty clean. I sprayed BLU-KOTE germicidal fungicidal spray on it. That’s where the purple is coming from. She is eating fine and everything seems ok with her overall health. I never see our rooster on her so I’m thinking there’s another cause. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 6B70281F-80DB-46EE-8C96-5E27A430BDA6.jpeg
    6B70281F-80DB-46EE-8C96-5E27A430BDA6.jpeg
    588.3 KB · Views: 1
That does look like rooster burn but a little too low. I'm no expert because I can't have roosters but I've inherited hens that look like that. Are you seeing any of the hens picking on her? Sometimes a little issue can turn into a bigger one because of picking. Hopefully someone with better advice will chime in. I have healed rooster burn with bag balm but again there was no rooster to exacerbate it and that hen actually lived alone while she was healing.

A hen saddle would cover that area so it can heal, regardless of the cause. (Could something be scraping her back such as a low pop door or a branch near her favorite dust bath?)

Back
Top Bottom