Thought mites, maybe not please help

HBlanton

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2017
I have a little Bovan Brown hen who I noticed yesterday had a very pale comb and wattles. She was also shaking her head every few seconds. We dusted her with 7 dust, wormed her just for good measure, and gave her a scrambled egg. She seemed to perk up and her comb even started turning pinker after a couple of hours. BUT today she is very pale again and shaking her head almost constantly. She came out of the coop this morning but has since just stood in the garden with her eyes closed leaning against the fence. I tried to give her an egg and she won't eat. I'm afraid to dust her again, don't want to over medicate and make her sicker but I'm afraid I'm going to lose her. Cam anyone help?

Welcome to BYC. Can you see any lice or mites on her? I wouldn't dust her again unless you do. Lice, mites should be killed on contact, and the eggs can hatch out in 7-10 days.Check the other chickens for lice/mites also. Check her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft, or hard. Look for any nasal drainage, sneezing, or chest rattles in case she has a respiratory infection. Look at her ears, in case they are swollen or have any gunk/mites in them. How old is she? Have you had problems with mites or lice before? Vitamins such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench 2-3 ml per day orally may boost her while she is feeling poorly.Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water, and sometimes adding a lot of water to a bowl of her usual feed may help. A tsp of plain yogurt daily can help boost her good gut bacteria.

I can't see any lice or mites, rest of the flock seems fine. Crop is clear, no nasal drainage. Ears are clear and she's 2-3 years old. I'll trybdome vitimans, usually keep them in the water bit haven't started yet this year. Any idea about the head shaking?

Last edited:
Head shaking occasionally can be normal, but may also be a sign of mites, an ear, infection, or a respiratory infection. You could check her ears with a QTip in case there is something in there irritating her.

Okay she did have something way down on one ear. Got it out and have her wrapped in a towel. Got her to take 5 or 6 dropper fulls of vitiman water and just a couple of mouthful of yogurt . Hope we can get her back on the right track. Thank you so much for the help

I will. Thank you so much for the help. Got her in the garage with a light on her and some yummy treats so maybe she'll come around

Some chickens get upset when they are separated from the other chickens. As long as the others aren't hurting her or she doesn't seem to have sneezing or nasal drainage, she might be happier in a crate inside the coop.

She's back and beautiful!! Getting the vitamin water in her seemed to turn the tables. Thank you so so much!

Back
Top Bottom