Thought they were hens... Now I'm wondering.

Triggerjay

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Springfield
So I have raised two bronze turkey this year (first time), and by their appearance (no beard) I assumed they were female. The other day, I got a new rooster. My turkeys were harder on my new roo than my other roo. They ran at him, flogged him, and puffed out all their feathers, raised their tails and fanned them out... And here I thought I had hens.. now im confused. Heres a couple pics of my turkeys... One's name is Christmas, and the other's name is Thanksgiving:
DSC02619.jpg

DSC02620.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02622.jpg

DSC02623.jpg

DSC02624.jpg

DSC02625.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

DSC02627.jpg

So, tell me like it is.. lol

Jason

They are hens, as far as I can see. You can see the white lacing on the breast feathers, as hens will have white lacing and the toms will not.

Plus their snoods are not big enough and they don't have the large carnucles that the toms have,

ah.. good to know... now, next question.. (yeah, im a newbie to this) how good are turkey eggs to eat, and at what age do they start laying? Thanks for all the replies on their gender!

Jason

My turkey hen will fan her tail and show off to new birds also.

The eggs don't taste any different to chicken eggs, we eat them once we've hatched all the poults we need for the year.

They lay seasonally, approx. April through August for us.

We have 2 bronze hens that look just like that. They make a real weird noise when they are mad. They turn bright red and puff their feathers. They only do that to a select few of our hens, not sure why just certain ones.

Back
Top Bottom