Thoughts and experiences on Meyer hatchery frizzled EE?

AinaWGSD

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Sullivan, IL
We are trying to narrow down which breeds to include in our small flock (limited to 6 by city ordinance). I love the frizzle look but I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $10 (or more) difference for a chance to get a smooth feathered bird anyway (most likely we would only be able to get one).

I personally wouldn’t buy at hatcheries for frizzle as they could be frazzle (happens when two frizzle birds are bred together). Frazzle makes the bird’s feathers very fragile and keeping them in cold weather is a major challenge as they usually have zero insulating layers of feathers. Plus I am pretty sure over time the feathers would just break off due to how brittle they are. I am not the most knowledgeable about frazzle however I know that it isn’t great for the bird.
However if wanted, there may be breeders around you that have different grown out frizzled pullets they may be selling. It may be a bit more costly but, (if it was me personally) I would rather buy a known frizzle from a breeder than have the chance of getting a frazzle.

Those are my two cents! I hope this helped you with whatever decision you choose to do.

Forgot to add! I haven’t personally gotten a frizzle from any hatchery but I know those who have and got frazzles.

Yeah, in a perfect world I'd get straight run chicks or hatching eggs from a breeder. I'm also a little wary of getting easter Eggers from a hatchery because we've gotten crossbeaked EE hatchery chicks before.

But we fought hard to convince city council to allow chickens at all and with a hard limit of 6 hens and no roosters our best option is sexed chicks from a hatchery.

I wouldn't risk it personally. There is a chance of getting a smooth, and there is a chance of getting a frazzle depending on what feather styles are keptnin the breeding pen(I've seen at least one hatchery market that as an 'extra curly'). I had a frazzle pullet a few years ago. She was a doll, sweetest bird I've ever had. But she had several health issues visibly (small, lack of feathers, easily irritated skin, very high metabolism), and typically frazzles also have heart issues too.

Yes, frazzles have issues, both externally with their brittle feathers and internally with such things as enlargement of the heart and poor metabolism.

The good news is that Meyer Hatchery has stated that they do not cross frizzle to frizzle in their pens in order to avoid making frazzles.

The bad news to that, however, is that that means you only have a 50-50 shot of any chick from their frizzle pens actually being a frizzle. So you will never get a frazzle from them if they are being honest about not breeding frizzle to frizzle, but your odds for getting a regular frizzle aren't great. Best to wait until a time when you can get two or three in your order to up your odds of at least one being a frizzle.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, it's looking like a pass. For a 50/50 chance of ending up with a regular Easter egger at twice the price it's probably not worth it. They do sell started frizzle ee pullets, so maybe when egg production drops off and it's time to replace some layers we can look into getting started birds.

Back
Top Bottom