Thoughts and opoins on DuMor feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ragerkid2, May 22, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    That's what in feeding my chicks and I'm hoping it's a good feed. I want nothing but the best for my little ones! [​IMG]
    Thanks!
    -Brandon

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    The guy at TSC the other day told me it was made by purina . .. . i.e. The generic brand of Purina.

3. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    It was ok. I felt like it was too much powder...not enough crumbled. Just switched to Flock Raiser and my gals LOVE it. The crumbles are great too.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup, DuMor is nothing but 100% packaged by Purina to be sold at TSC as its "house brand". Nothing special, nothing horrid. Just is what it is. Frankly, the price is not reduced enough for being generic, imho. If it were $2 cheaper a 50#, it would be much better. Oh well.

5. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I've never had any real problem with it and I've been feeding it for 3 years.

6. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    what other chicken feeds are out there?

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

if you google feed store or feed and seed you will likely get some hits of what is in your area. Different areas of the country have different "country stores" like Tractor Supply, Atwoods, Farm and Fleet, etc, etc. Those are chain stores and they typically have something they have sacked up just for them. Some will have Purina. Some will have Kent Feeds, another well known brand.

If you give us an idea where you located, we could probably point you in the right direction.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  8. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Johnstown Pa has tractor supply that is also bear where I am located 5 min. drive.

9. bartchick

bartchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    We like the DuMor Layer Crumbles and have recently switched to layer pellets (less waste). The Chick Starter seems pretty good, in my humble opinion much better than the locally made starter mash which tends to create a huge mess and alot of waste. We especially like that the DuMor brand products we use do not contain animal products. Good luck.

Last edited: May 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by