Thoughts and prayers needed for my mom

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, May 2, 2009.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    she just called to tell me that they are on their way back from having her AmStaff Sam put to sleep.
    She got him in 1995 when he was 9 months old from a city pound. No one else wanted him because he had lived on the streets and was a "Pit Bull"
    But she met him at a PetCo adoption day and brought him home a few days later for $100 and a bag of dog food. We all thought she was crazy, but she was right about him. He was a sweet heart that welcomed everyone into the home, but also protected us when needed. He was her constant companion. He was the reason she got up from bed after she lost her job.

He was diagnosed with cancer of the liver towards the end of last year and was only given a few months to live. We didnt think he would make it through the holidays. But in true tenacious pit bull fashion he did.

He was my brother more than just the family dog. I trusted him with my daughter from the minute she was born. More than I trusted and still trust my own Border Collie.

Everyone on the street and in the town knows Sam and my mom as they took walks daily and he rode shotgun around town, to the donut shop, the bank drive up, the gas station, to the sprinng and the local parks.

We just visited him last weekend. She made no mention to his health further declining when I spoke with her last night. So he must have taken a turn for the worst over night and into this morning. She was with him when he went. Comforted and loved til the very end. He will be missed greatly and there will never be another Sam. He was truly a unique ambassador for the breed.

Run and play pain free my brother. I love you

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My heart aches for you all. [​IMG]

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Made me want to cry! Just think Sam is rejuvinated now,has many of new friends, & can now do as Sam pleases. God Bless

4. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I feel bad for your mom, sam is at peace right now. Prayers to her.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I am so very sorry to hear of this unfortunate loss of a beloved member of the family. My heart goes out to you. [​IMG]

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I'm so sorry for your families loss . I don't know what it is about having to send a beloved pet to heaven but I always cry when I read these type of posts. [​IMG] It could be that I miss my own GSD so much and she's been gone for over a year now.

7. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can say to ease your pain. Only time heals. These loyal and endearing souls make themselves at home in our hearts and, when they pass, leave a hole that is hard, if not impossible to fill. All I can do is send my prayers and [​IMG] to you and your family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by