Thoughts on anti-peck spray for button quail?

ButtonBag

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
London, UK
I have a bonded male-female pair of buttons living together—they get along very well with one problem… the female is gradually getting a bald head. The male is quite clumsy with breeding, and pulls out the feathers on the back of her head to the point where she now has a good 1cm bald patch (formed over several months). There's never been any damage to her skin.

I don't want to separate them because they preen and sleep and nest together, so I think they'd be very stressed apart. I just feel sorry for the hen! I was thinking of applying a bit of anti-peck spray to the back of her head around the bald patch just to discourage him grabbing there. My only concern is that he might go off her completely. Do you think there's any danger of them "un-bonding" if she suddenly tastes terrible?

I have a bonded male-female pair of buttons living together—they get along very well with one problem… the female is gradually getting a bald head. The male is quite clumsy with breeding, and pulls out the feathers on the back of her head to the point where she now has a good 1cm bald patch (formed over several months). There's never been any damage to her skin.

I don't want to separate them because they preen and sleep and nest together, so I think they'd be very stressed apart. I just feel sorry for the hen! I was thinking of applying a bit of anti-peck spray to the back of her head around the bald patch just to discourage him grabbing there. My only concern is that he might go off her completely. Do you think there's any danger of them "un-bonding" if she suddenly tastes terrible?
I say try it and pics of the anti peck spray plz, and im sure they wont unbond the boys are always so ready to go with buttons 😉 and they way they cry for each other and morn,

Back
Top Bottom