Thoughts on converting portion of storage shed to coop

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I need more chicken space. I am weighing the pros and cons of converting a portion of our storage shed to a chicken coop. Any one been there done that?
IMG_20170605_110815.jpg
IMG_20170605_111000.jpg
Obviously ventilation would have to be addressed and pop door, plus cleanability. Then there are the issues of getting dust/smells in the rest of the shed. Mostly it is tools, kids outdoor things, gardening stuff, and stinky hockey gear.

Obviously the big pro here is the cost to build.

The dust is definitely an issue. Figure out what you have to keep out there vs. what you can move elsewhere. Chicken dust isn't likely going to bother you on your garden tools, but kids might be opposed to smelling like chicken poop at hockey practice. I know sports equipment stinks anyway, but it's human stench, which is generally more acceptable than the aroma of chicken poop dust. Airtight boxes are an option for storing things that you won't want effected, but that wouldn't be ideal for things that are susceptible to odors on their own, like kid stuff.

I keep chicken stuff (feed barrels, supplements, extra equipment, etc.) in my shed. I also have my tools in there on occasion. During hatching season I keep brooders in there too. These are tiny babies and I am vigilant about keeping the brooders clean, but they still wreck my shed for half the year.

I envy your shed! I would definitely commandeer it for chickens! Haha! Matter of fact, my chicken shed was once my husband's tool shed. I stole it.

Unfortunately we have no garage and this is our only shed on the property. We had another old metal shed here when we moved in, but we got rid of it. Now I am kicking myself!

There's some good news. Kids seem to accumulate less and less "stuff" as they get older! Haha! That's probably the only thing I can see in the picture that I wouldn't want to keep in a shed with chickens. I wouldn't be concerned with the gardening stuff in the least. If you do yard work like I do, you're probably going to get filthy anyway.

I've done something similar but some of my pros would be cons for you because of the dust. I only had stuff in there that the dust wouldn't bother so I was able to have quite a bit of ventilation between the coop and the protected-from-weather portion of the shed. Instead of using a lot of wire you'd probably want a solid dust-proof wall.

To me a big advantages of converting that other than costs is that you have a great storage area for feed and equipment. You can probably get in and out of that shed easier and faster than a free standing coop in the rain without getting wet. I do like my weather protected entrance. I don't see anything to indicate you have electricity out there but that would be another big advantage. I put a breaker box in mine so I have several circuits for lights and other things.

A con is that you will lose storage space. Dry storage space can be valuable.

Last edited:
I couldn't imagine storing anything but chicken "stuff" in the coop. Chickens are incredibly dusty, the dust sticks to everything and hard to clean. I figure most of that comes from the dust bathing and body oil that the dust/dirt absorbs.

Back
Top Bottom