Thoughts On Dry Incubation??

i'm trying to keep my humidity at 25-30%, but it's hard... one day it will rain, and the next day it will be dry and sunny... living in los angeles sucks for incubating... i had to drill a bigger hole in my fridge-a-bator yesterday... and put a smaller container for water... like a 2" dixie cup... LOL...

Dry incubating works best for me too here in humid Louisiana. I have a Dickey cabinet incubator. No water or very little the first 18 days...I like to keep it around 30%. I up it to about 65% for hatch. Best hatches ever!
big_smile.png

Dry works here too, I also do not add water to my incubator. Humidity inside the bator usually runs 25%-35% while the room humidity is 50%-60%. I still have problems with sticky chicks, especially with my Marans. Sticky chicks (glue-like substance coming out of the egg) is caused by too high humidity, so I really have no idea what to do with those Marans eggs! I don't think I can get it any lower than 25%
lol.png

Quote:
I have sticky marans problems, even with dry incubation.
ChooksChicks actually sands her marans eggs to facilitate drying. You might want to PM her and have her fill you in on it.
Carolyn

Quote:
ChooksChicks actually sands her marans eggs to facilitate drying. You might want to PM her and have her fill you in on it.
Carolyn

I've seen her posts. Sometimes they hatch real easily and other times I have all sorts of problems. They also seem to give up faster than others. They'll be stuck for an hour and die, when I've had others get stuck for a day and just be sitting there like "it's about time you get me out of this egg!"
lol.png

Quote:
Carolyn

I've seen her posts. Sometimes they hatch real easily and other times I have all sorts of problems. They also seem to give up faster than others. They'll be stuck for an hour and die, when I've had others get stuck for a day and just be sitting there like "it's about time you get me out of this egg!"
lol.png

I agree, they do have more problems. I have noticed silkies are similar, too. I had one pip, 24hrs zip very quickly around the egg then die.

You would think that would just naturally select out because the ones that die do not live on to make more like themselves.
idunno.gif

Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom