Thoughts on Fluffy chicken butts?

hamilton00

Songster
May 12, 2019
Is it true that fluffy chicken butts generally mean a healthy bird? Also, my only Leghorn has to be put down due to a number of conditions, including arthritis, Bumblefoot, some sort of tumor, and fly strike (not to mention she was four years old, which is pretty old for her breed!). She had some poop on her butt, which unfortunately led to flies, and then the unspeakable horror of fly strike. I am also wondering if flies could somehow burrow through a chicken’s butt feathers to lay their eggs. I know flies adore chicken poop, especially if it’s stuck to the feathers, but could flies still lay their eggs in a chicken even without the poop stuck to their butts? Sorry if my questions seem ignorant, but our leghorn having flystrike was the first time I’ve ever seen it.
Since we’re on the topic of chicken butts, I thought I’d post pics of some of my hens butts, lol:
B18A403A-F016-472B-8D8E-6B440180F757.jpeg

C275F6E3-1CE7-40BE-9D7A-6A0B6D528D7B.jpeg

EDCF24DC-524F-48EF-BAA0-D73B0C496926.jpeg

(I know Chloe here doesn’t have the cleanest or fluffiest butt, but she always has been a messy pooper)

Some chickens just have fluffier butts than others... don't think it's necessarily an indicator of good health. Fluff can cause some issues, like bloom heavy eggs can stick to the chicken, and poop can build up (some birds have poopy butts regardless of amount of overall fluff).

Assuming the poopy butt isn't due to health issues, you can trim the feathers around the vent to reduce the amount of build up and hopefully minimize flies becoming an issue. I don't think flies are very likely to lay eggs on a chicken unless there's an open wound or poop buildup, things like that.

Some chickens just have fluffier butts than others... don't think it's necessarily an indicator of good health. Fluff can cause some issues, like bloom heavy eggs can stick to the chicken, and poop can build up (some birds have poopy butts regardless of amount of overall fluff).

Assuming the poopy butt isn't due to health issues, you can trim the feathers around the vent to reduce the amount of build up and hopefully minimize flies becoming an issue. I don't think flies are very likely to lay eggs on a chicken unless there's an open wound or poop buildup, things like that.
Ditto Dat...all of it!

Back
Top Bottom