Thoughts on my future flock?

That’s good to hear about the SS, I am reading a lot of contradictions on SS, Welsummers, Australorps and Wyandotte’s….Some say they are the sweetest bird they have and some say they are very bossy and pick on other gentle birds. I know that it can be on an individual basis, I will have a hard time tolerating a bully.
I actually have an example of what that would like, it might help you… granted my other birds are not the same your looking to buy although a couple of them I’d love to get for my flock….

An example…. My flock:

Barred Rock Rooster
BB hen
3 white brahmas (oldest in the flock by half a year maybe, I can’t find my journal to tell you but I took them off of a friend)
1 Blue laced Barnevelder
2 Buff Brahmas (the youngest in the group)
2 SS

This is pretty close to the pecking order I can get… however there are exceptions as they mature… because they are also a variety of ages varying by the most 6 months I think?

My Buffs were hand raised… I did not raise the white ones and so they kind are like the big girls club and walk around together… it’s getting better but even with them there is one that gets pecked on yet still and so she then jumps in to boss all the rest…. My barnevelder I have left (I had two, she was very sweet and was killed) actually jumped right in and took 1st place when she hit laying age… lol, fearless. She was attacked by a raccoon while roosting thru the pen…. So she was seperated for a long period of time and still hasn’t gained all her weight back and hasn’t reclaimed her position. And Brahma are very gentle at least they can be if you’re involved with handling them a lot. The 2 SS I have there is one I would say is bossier than the other…. But it still isn’t mean or authoritative enough to be higher on the pecking order. I handle both SS very easily, they were bought with Barnevelders… and when my barnevelder was injured they would jump the fence and explore (they are very curious and love foraging) and go across our front yard to opposite side of the house just to visit “Bessie” and they would do this twice a day while Bessie was isolated. Bessie however is at the top of “their” pecking order…

Think things are much more simplified if you can get them all together and around the same age. I’m still a newbie at this. I’ve had them just over a year… you learn a lot.. LOL. I think this might be of help that is why I’m sharing but i May be hard to follow because I bought my flock as I could when they were available…. I hadn’t thought of ordering from hatcheries back then. I live in a small town. Because of that it complicates my story because I basically Merged birds that were in their own hierarchy and flock that then fluctuated once all together..

I tried to simply best I could lol…. So yes SS can be “bossy” but their bossy I found really isn’t that bad in comparison. They will still be the less domineering breed.

Whew, I’m done. Haha

I actually have an example of what that would like, it might help you… granted my other birds are not the same your looking to buy although a couple of them I’d love to get for my flock….

An example…. My flock:

Barred Rock Rooster
BB hen
3 white brahmas (oldest in the flock by half a year maybe, I can’t find my journal to tell you but I took them off of a friend)
1 Blue laced Barnevelder
2 Buff Brahmas (the youngest in the group)
2 SS

This is pretty close to the pecking order I can get… however there are exceptions as they mature… because they are also a variety of ages varying by the most 6 months I think?

My Buffs were hand raised… I did not raise the white ones and so they kind are like the big girls club and walk around together… it’s getting better but even with them there is one that gets pecked on yet still and so she then jumps in to boss all the rest…. My barnevelder I have left (I had two, she was very sweet and was killed) actually jumped right in and took 1st place when she hit laying age… lol, fearless. She was attacked by a raccoon while roosting thru the pen…. So she was seperated for a long period of time and still hasn’t gained all her weight back and hasn’t reclaimed her position. And Brahma are very gentle at least they can be if you’re involved with handling them a lot. The 2 SS I have there is one I would say is bossier than the other…. But it still isn’t mean or authoritative enough to be higher on the pecking order. I handle both SS very easily, they were bought with Barnevelders… and when my barnevelder was injured they would jump the fence and explore (they are very curious and love foraging) and go across our front yard to opposite side of the house just to visit “Bessie” and they would do this twice a day while Bessie was isolated. Bessie however is at the top of “their” pecking order…

Think things are much more simplified if you can get them all together and around the same age. I’m still a newbie at this. I’ve had them just over a year… you learn a lot.. LOL. I think this might be of help that is why I’m sharing but i May be hard to follow because I bought my flock as I could when they were available…. I hadn’t thought of ordering from hatcheries back then. I live in a small town. Because of that it complicates my story because I basically Merged birds that were in their own hierarchy and flock that then fluctuated once all together..

I tried to simply best I could lol…. So yes SS can be “bossy” but their bossy I found really isn’t that bad in comparison. They will still be the less domineering breed.

Whew, I’m done. Haha
I e even considered replacing my BBRooster I hand raised and was my “buddy” till he turned a year and it’s mating season, to getting a SS Rooster…. Mr. Doodles is not nice with others and is getting very difficult with me even though I recognize he is doing his job. So I May rehome him and just not have one or find one with less agressive tendencies. However I’ve been told BR roosters aren’t known to be real agressive and it might lighten up after mating season??? That could be someone just playing with me idk

Another interesting way you could do it if you don't need one of each is to go to cackle and try putting in a few breeds just adding 3 to the cart. It will likely tell you they are not all available for the same ship date, but then it displays a calendar with green check marks and red xs. So for example, I could get three each of GLW, SLW, and Easter Eggers shipped August 14. Or three each of Welsummers, GLW, SLW and Speckled Sussex shipped August 7. 🤷 Put in whatever available breeds you like, and you'll get an idea of what you might realistically be able to get your hands on and how soon.

ETA July 19 you could get French Marans surplus, plus the two basic wyandottes, but you have to get minimum 5 for the Marans that way... Or, three French Cuckoo Marans, three of the GLW and SLW. July 5 you could get 5 French Marans + 3 white Ameraucanas... OOH!!!! Aug 9 three each SLW, White Ameraucanas, and Cuckoo Marans. Boom. Do that lol (IMHO a well-curated black and white flock that gives you regular brown eggs, blue eggs, and darker speckled eggs)

Hahaha or Aug 7 also has the cuckoo Marans available, but now at three each of five breeds, you're up to 15 chickens. Sorry 🤷. You'd have a great basket though, and a great looking flock!

Don't mind me while I go fantasy chicken shopping for internet frans. 🙈🙉🙊
I LOVE this hahaha, I wished you were around when I was shopping for chicks! ;)

Wanted to thank you again for your help, y’all really cleared it up for me to see how and what to do.

With looking and researching further on these hatchery sites, I have narrowed down the final possibilities for my new flock:

*Black Copper Maran- dark egg
*Welsummer- dark egg
?Golden Comet- brown egg
?Buckeye- brown egg
*Spec Sussex- cream egg
*Blue laced Wyandotte- cream egg
*Golden laced Wyandotte- cream
*Silver laced Wyandotte- cream
?Prairie blue Egger- blue egg
?Cream Legbar- blue egg
?Starlight green Egger-green egg
?White Leghorn- white egg
?California White- white egg
?Blue Andalusian- white egg

* signifies definitely getting
? signifies not really for sure which on with this egg color but want to get one of these- brown, green/blue, white egg layer. Want to get 1 brown, 2- green/blue, 1- white egg layer.

As you can see, the entire flock will be multi egg colored as well as multi color appearance.

I just have not narrowed down the 1-brown, 2- green/blue, and 1- white egg layers. And yes temperament has a lot to do with it also. I would like a friendly flock.

I would like 8 but looks like I will push to getting 10 hens.

Thanks for your help!!

And I believe I can get all the ones I request from a local feed/poultry store in one big order. They order from the big hatcheries.

Saw this on Hoover hatchery site.

1683550918995.png

Wanted to thank you again for your help, y’all really cleared it up for me to see how and what to do.

With looking and researching further on these hatchery sites, I have narrowed down the final possibilities for my new flock:

*Black Copper Maran- dark egg
*Welsummer- dark egg
?Golden Comet- brown egg
?Buckeye- brown egg
*Spec Sussex- cream egg
*Blue laced Wyandotte- cream egg
*Golden laced Wyandotte- cream
*Silver laced Wyandotte- cream
?Prairie blue Egger- blue egg
?Cream Legbar- blue egg
?Starlight green Egger-green egg
?White Leghorn- white egg
?California White- white egg
?Blue Andalusian- white egg

* signifies definitely getting
? signifies not really for sure which on with this egg color but want to get one of these- brown, green/blue, white egg layer. Want to get 1 brown, 2- green/blue, 1- white egg layer.

As you can see, the entire flock will be multi egg colored as well as multi color appearance.

I just have not narrowed down the 1-brown, 2- green/blue, and 1- white egg layers. And yes temperament has a lot to do with it also. I would like a friendly flock.

I would like 8 but looks like I will push to getting 10 hens.

Thanks for your help!!

And I believe I can get all the ones I request from a local feed/poultry store in one big order. They order from the big hatcheries.
My ducks are my white layers. Leghorns have a completely different temperament from the others. California Whites are a leghorn mix that may be a bit less flighty, I would personally choose over the straight Leghorns. Blue Andalusian may be a similar situation, I've never owned them, but I absolutely have my eye on them! They will probably do much better in your climate than mine, and they are not a hybrid like the California White.

You should definitely consider Australorps. They are really a fantastic chicken. Great temperament, easy to handle, heritage breed at this point, and they and my Welsummers all laid over winter, which I'm not sure the Wyandottes will. It's nice to have some girls in there who are less likely to slow down.

For colors, if it were me and I could get any bird I wanted, I would go for Whiting True Blues, Cream Legbars, or Americaunas. My Starlight Green Eggers (that were mislabeled and sold to us as French Wheaten Marans) have lovely personalities though! I am keeping one for that reason. But again, they are a hybrid and they come in Many variations so you kind of have no idea what they look like, especially if you're only getting one. Easter Eggers, same, they are a hybrid, and it's anyone's guess how they will look, but they should lay two very pretty eggs for you if you were to get a pair, and there's nothing wrong with that. For me, I am dreaming of my BBS Ameraucanas and CCLs :)

Final thoughts on dark eggs. Each bird lays a different egg. I have seen that with my Welsummers. So you could get a Welsummer who lays a very dark one, or lighter with speckles etc. I enjoy having more than one for that reason, they are each unique! Same I imagine goes for your BCMs, however also don't expect hatchery Marans to lay the darkest of dark eggs. If / when you are eventually looking for that, you will want to source from a breeder. :)

@Chipmunk Chicks

I understand about the leghorns, I read that they can be pretty wild. Might be smart to go with the blue Andalusian.

What color eggs does your Starlight Green Egger lay? Green?

Your Easter Eggers?

What is BBS? CCLs?

Regardless of very dark or just dark, Welsummers should have speckled eggs?

Thanks so much!!

@Chipmunk Chicks

I understand about the leghorns, I read that they can be pretty wild. Might be smart to go with the blue Andalusian.

What color eggs does your Starlight Green Egger lay? Green?

Your Easter Eggers?

What is BBS? CCLs?

Regardless of very dark or just dark, Welsummers should have speckled eggs?

Thanks so much!!
Starlight Green Eggers are supposed to lay green eggs. Mine are not at point of lay yet, and I'll be honest, I don't even know for sure if that's what I have.

I don't have any Easter Eggers.

BBS are blue / black / splash colored birds, in this case Ameraucanas, but could be Australorps or Orpingtons or ... Whatever. The Ameraucanas lay blue eggs. Cream Crested Legbars also lay blue eggs. :)

Yes! The Welsummer eggs are all so pretty and speckled! Even the size and patter of speckles can vary. I think I have two that lay a somewhat similar very dark egg with fine speckles, and the other two are each quite different from that.
20230126_171433_1674771304076_1674780484249.jpeg

Three Welsummer eggs and a (pink!) Australorp egg. ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom