Thoughts on my ration...

Baizer84

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 28, 2014
Hamilton, TX
I've got some young Buff Orpington pullets that have just begun laying. They are not free range. I'm currently feeding the following ration.

50# Purina Layena Plus Omega 3 layer ration (16%)

20 Pounds Milo

10 Pounds Cracked Corn

10 Pounds Deer Pellets (20%)

5 pounds Oyster Shell

I also supply supplemental chicken grit. All of this is mixed in a large trashcan and then I fill the feeders with a scoop from the can.

I am aware of the aflatoxin risks associated with corn but, as I work in the lab at the grain company where I purchase the corn and deer pellets and do the aflatoxin tests myself, I'm comfortable feeding the corn.

Thoughts? Should I alter anything?

Last edited:
I've got some young Buff Orpington pullets that have just begun laying. They are not free range. I'm currently feeding the following ration.

50# Purina Layena Plus Omega 3 layer ration (16%)

20 Pounds Milo

10 Pounds Cracked Corn

10 Pounds Deer Pellets (20%)

5 pounds Oyster Shell

I also supply supplemental chicken grit. All of this is mixed in a large trashcan and then I fill the feeders with a scoop from the can.

I am aware of the aflatoxin risks associated with corn but, as I work in the lab at the grain company where I purchase the corn and deer pellets and do the aflatoxin tests myself, I'm comfortable feeding the corn.

Thoughts? Should I alter anything?
I really don't understand your thinking by 'mixing' all those feeds together...is it to save money somehow? My girls do not free-range also, and I feed them, in their PVC feeder tubes:

Purina Layena crumbles

Yep...that's it. I wouldn't dream of going to all the trouble of adding stuff to it...why and for what purpose?

They also get their oyster shell 'on the side' in it's own smaller PVC feeder tube next to their crumbles.

I give them a breakfast of sorts 5 days a week, alternating warm oatmeal with some black sunflower seeds or some hard-boiled eggs, shell and all, finely crumbled...they go crazy for either!

Treats are only once a day, mid-afternoon after all the laying is over with and only 1 treat..it could be:

a chunk of watermelon
half a cantaloupe
half an acorn squash (boy, do they love those seeds!)
About 1 cup's worth of scratch
etc., etc.

So there you have it...my feeding schedule ... wishing you all the best!
frow.gif

Just adding those to give them some variety. They've seemed to enjoy it so far. It saves a little money because it stretches the Layena, which is pretty pricey.

Just adding those to give them some variety. They've seemed to enjoy it so far. It saves a little money because it stretches the Layena, which is pretty pricey.
Yeah, but what little you save in dollars is taken up with all the work hoisting those bags around...yikes!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom