Thoughts on nesting box pads

The "right" answer is whatever works for your girls. I have used the Eaton-type pads and still do for a few girls. I like the Duncan's pads much better because, for me, they tend to stay inside the nest boxes and I like being able to hose them off when they get dirty. Admittedly, a few of my girls just get pine shavings.

I have never thought about using feed bags; I like the idea and may try that!

I pad my nest boxes for free. Save empty feed bags and fold them to fit snugly inside the bottom of the nest box (I also put a sheet or two of bubble wrap inside the bags since I have a lot of shipping material, but that's optional). Then top with nesting material of your choice. Even if the chickens scratch half of it out, the feed bag will still cushion the eggs and if they get soiled, you can toss them out guilt free.

View attachment 3721674
I never thought of using the feed bags, that's a great idea and thanks for sharing!

Save your money. Use shredded paper. The hens love it and don't kick it out of the box. This is how the boxes look after two months -- no paper added. Some hens, however, remain in their boxes for two hours or more. Evidently, they are finding something interesting to read. :rolleyes:

D03F27B5D541_1704997972846.jpg

looking for opinions on nesting box pads. I currently just use pine shavings in my boxes but they tend to kick it out or scratch so much they lay directly on the hard box surface. I keep seeing These pads pop up on my Amazon and im intrigued:

Eaton Pet and Pasture, Premium Laying Hen Nesting Pads, USA Grown & Sustainably Harvested, 13 x 13 (10 Pack) https://a.co/d/6ogrQ7J

Does anyone use something like this? Do your hens still feel as though they are “nesting?” (Ask them for me please. ) Is it dangerous for them if they eat at the material?
Hello. My Rhode Island hens always throw out their nest box bedding and if I put new stuff in it they go to a different box. ?? Go figure.

I have an earlier post concerning this. Try shredded paper. My hens love it and don't kick it out of the box. Read the Amazon reviews for the nesting pads - especially the 1. 2 and 3 ratings before you buy. Shredded paper is free.
D03F27B5D541_1705061701440.jpg

I pad my nest boxes for free. Save empty feed bags and fold them to fit snugly inside the bottom of the nest box (I also put a sheet or two of bubble wrap inside the bags since I have a lot of shipping material, but that's optional). Then top with nesting material of your choice. Even if the chickens scratch half of it out, the feed bag will still cushion the eggs and if they get soiled, you can toss them out guilt free.

View attachment 3721674
I am going to do this tomorrow! thanks for the tip-i love reusing things when possible, and my hens kick out the premade nest box pads so this will at least not cost me anything if it does not work :)

I have an earlier post concerning this. Try shredded paper. My hens love it and don't kick it out of the box. Read the Amazon reviews for the nesting pads - especially the 1. 2 and 3 ratings before you buy. Shredded paper is free.View attachment 3724272
We use shredded paper as well. My DH works at a bank and brings home bags of the stuff. It's free, clean and easy to transport, wicks moisture, does not breed or harbor mites or lice, and is compostable. And the hens love it. If an egg breaks in the nest, just grab it along with a handful of the paper and toss it away. Easy peasy!

I use these plastic nesting box pads, sometimes by themselves, but they like when I put a layer of hay or shavings on top. That way they can make their nest, but not get to the wood bottom and accidently break an egg. You can cut them to size as well.

Duncan's Chicken Nesting Pads (6 PACK) - Dura-Pad Poultry Mats for Bedding and Laying Eggs - Chickens, Ducks, and Hens - Washable Reusable Box Liners with Air Circulation and Waste Filtering https://a.co/d/b9ahp5i
That's what I use as well. I've had them for 7 years. Easy to clean!

Back
Top Bottom