Thoughts on nesting box pads

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
looking for opinions on nesting box pads. I currently just use pine shavings in my boxes but they tend to kick it out or scratch so much they lay directly on the hard box surface. I keep seeing These pads pop up on my Amazon and im intrigued:

Eaton Pet and Pasture, Premium Laying Hen Nesting Pads, USA Grown & Sustainably Harvested, 13 x 13 (10 Pack) https://a.co/d/6ogrQ7J

Does anyone use something like this? Do your hens still feel as though they are “nesting?” (Ask them for me please. ) Is it dangerous for them if they eat at the material?

Lots of folks use the nesting pads. It's a personal choice for your particular situation.

However, hens have a definite bias toward loose nest material so that can arrange it in the way they want. It's called titivating. It's kind of like fluffing your pillow before you get into the perfect position to sleep.

Some hens like to toss it over their backs in addition to arranging a nesting hollow. Yes, it can get messy. But they derive great joy and contentment from the ritual.

Consider adding a lip to your nest boxes to contain the nest material. Adding privacy curtains can also help to retain nest material, and it provides a touch of extra comfort for a hen and helps her relax.

Hi! I started with the Eaton pads...that said, and I have a 4" lip on each nest box, my girls kicked the pads out EVERYDAY! It was really annoying. Sooo I started to just tear off a handful of the pad and stick them in the nest boxes, trying to save money.

Well, that was a futile attempt. As they just continued to kick it out.AND I was starting to get broken or cracked eggs because there was no padding left. They still liked kicking whatever was in the nest boxes around...(ingrates!)

What I ended up doing was buying a rug of ASTRO turf, cutting 4" strips for each of the 4 sides of 5 nest boxes, and a 13"x13" bottom pad. I screwed the four sides to the nest box walls and placed the loose 13x13 pad in the bottom of the 5 boxes, And THEN, added a handful of the Eaton nest pad to each. I haven't had a problem with it since, and on the rare occasion that a weak shelled egg cracks and makes a mess, or just for general cleaning, I can pull the bottom astro turf pad out, give it a hosing, and return when it's dry.

Whaa laa! Well it worked for me, maybe it could for you too! (Sorry the picture isn't great, but you can see the idea)

Attachments

• 20230819_150630.jpg
    20230819_150630.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I use these plastic nesting box pads, sometimes by themselves, but they like when I put a layer of hay or shavings on top. That way they can make their nest, but not get to the wood bottom and accidently break an egg. You can cut them to size as well.

Duncan's Chicken Nesting Pads (6 PACK) - Dura-Pad Poultry Mats for Bedding and Laying Eggs - Chickens, Ducks, and Hens - Washable Reusable Box Liners with Air Circulation and Waste Filtering https://a.co/d/b9ahp5i

I pad my nest boxes for free. Save empty feed bags and fold them to fit snugly inside the bottom of the nest box (I also put a sheet or two of bubble wrap inside the bags since I have a lot of shipping material, but that's optional). Then top with nesting material of your choice. Even if the chickens scratch half of it out, the feed bag will still cushion the eggs and if they get soiled, you can toss them out guilt free.

coop3.jpg

I asked mine, they all said they thoroughly enjoy titivating. They especially like tucking each grass blade in along the sides of the hollow they make in the nest box. They work on it for days until the hollow is as deep as about a third to a half the depth of their bodies (about half for the smallest leghorn and about a third in the biggest austrolorp) and super smooth.

Attachments

• EA1A8B19-1F8A-4939-BCB3-84A984904F68.jpeg
    EA1A8B19-1F8A-4939-BCB3-84A984904F68.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 35
  • C91C75AE-AE16-4D8D-AAF5-790096E2F3A5.jpeg
    C91C75AE-AE16-4D8D-AAF5-790096E2F3A5.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I pad my nest boxes for free. Save empty feed bags and fold them to fit snugly inside the bottom of the nest box (I also put a sheet or two of bubble wrap inside the bags since I have a lot of shipping material, but that's optional). Then top with nesting material of your choice. Even if the chickens scratch half of it out, the feed bag will still cushion the eggs and if they get soiled, you can toss them out guilt free.

View attachment 3721674
This is what I do too. Can't remember if it was you or someone else who told me about it. No broken eggs since. Girls seem happy scratching the pine shavings on top.

Back
Top Bottom