Thoughts on Orpingtons

NagemTX

Dragon Chicken
Premium Feather Member
Apr 14, 2022
Angleton TX
My Coop
My Coop
So in all my researching for the chickens that I wanted and where pleasing to my sight the fluffy breeds where not it for me. The only fluffy breed that I found I like is the Ameraucana(sp).

I put in two orders for chicks this year .... my first year back. First order Blue Ameraucanas (1 male, 4 females), Silver Duckwing Phoenix(4 SR), Gold Duckwing Phoenix(4 SR), and Silver Spangled Appenzellers Spitshauben(5 SR). Second order Lavender (1 male, 3 females) and Black (3 females) Ameraucanas.

My second order had issues. They where short on Black Ameraucanas so I only got one. Note on the order slip is they subbed in another Lavender Ameraucana for a Black and I would be refunded for the one I did not get. I had ordered three females. I was ok with this. I'll just order a small batch next year for replacements. It turned out the 3 lavender females and 1 sub lavender female are actually Lavender Orpingtons a breed I really dont want to have but I will give it a chance.

I am worried they might be to big for the rest of my flock as they will out weigh them by several pounds. Should I be worried?

They seam to be growing out slower. All the others have full feathers or near to it on their wings and the Orpingtons don't yet.

I love my Phoenix, they come when I call and like to get under my hands and follow my fingers and eat from where I point. A few of the Ameraucana and Spitz do as well.

Have a couple of Ameraucana that as soon as I sit down look at me and wait till I invite them to come to me then want to snuggle.

I just love my Orpingtons, they are so easy going, get along with everyone, and while mine don't love hugs they always sit on me or next to me. I currently have two Orpington hens and an Orpington rooster and the rooster is living in the run with the bantams at the moment because he's so gentle that as a baby he was terrified of all the big chickens. He now towers over all of them and is ready to integrate with the big birds, but still gets hen checked by birds not even a quarter his size haha. I think you will enjoy them, they are reliable layers and so pretty :) But like others have said, they will sell easily if you decide not to keep them!

Back
Top Bottom