Thoughts on Shipped Eggs?

I automatically dismiss 50% of shipped eggs to not hatch..

I have had zero hatch but never above 50%..

the usps does not take any extra precautions with packages marked fragile .. once your package is in a mail bag,who can see the fragile label??

I have had poor hatches with eggs I went and picked up also..

I have had poor hatches with my own eggs laid right here..

But I have had the very best hatches with the eggs laid right here at home..

I have had better luck with fertility when I had two or more roosters..
The competiton between the roosters makes them greedy to breed..

Quote:
sorry if it came out that way.... I wasn't referring to you specifically.... sounds like you handled things great~.........
smile.png

95% of the egg sales I have experienced have been terrific.........

I appreciate the care that every breeder I have dealt with takes in packing
the eggs for shipping. I know that it's always a gamble to try hatching
shipped eggs.

I always email the breeders just to give them updates on what I had
hatch. I know that if it was me shipping eggs, I'd love to be notified
about how many and what sex hatched.

I thank them, even if it was a 0% hatch. It is not their fault that the
post office is so hard on packages.

I've received three different shipments of eggs so far. They were all shipped from different states, all closer to the east coast side of the country, and I live in Hawaii so that was a long trip. Out of 50 received total, ONLY 1 BROKE. They've been in the bator for 11 days and so far only 4 have candled clear
lol.png
The rest are all veining and have great air sacks. This is my first batch though so we'll see how I do.

I purchased them all from eBay sellers. Nov 20th is there hatch date.

I have bought tons of shipped eggs. I always expect less than 50% to hatch so I always try to buy double the amount I want in the end. Though I know that I am not going to get a great hatch rate on the shipped eggs I wouldnt have turkeys, or my Marans, or quail without them.

Even the couple batches I bought just a couple hours away and brought home myself have had low hatch rates for whatever reason and I know I didnt bump and shake the eggs all over the place.

just realized this is an older thread, but hey its a great topic to bring back to the light.

Last edited:
There are sooo many variables that can effect fertility, growing, etc. It truly *IS* a gamble getting hatching eggs shipped in. It could be anything from a package being adled (whether that be from something innocent like a bumpy dirt road that the mail man has to go down to an idiot that doesn't take pride in his job), heat or cold, infertility...sooo many things.

I mean, thing about it, we are so careful when we get eggs at the grocery store. They need to be packed just right in the bag, put gently in that bag in your vehicle, then in your refrigerator. Whoever thought of shipping them was CRAZY!!! YET it does work...sometimes. It can be a great way to add new blood lines to your flock. Those eggs have to go through so much to get to their destination, though and I do truly feel that every time we have eggs shipped in, it is a big gamble for sure.

Back
Top Bottom