Thoughts on spent hens?

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I have far too many old hens that I plan to cull this year to cut the winter feed bill. They are ages 3-8. I planned to make just a bunch of broth, but I was wondering if they would taste decent/good if I ground them up and made chicken meatballs or something similar with them?

I can't remember who it is on here but there are a few that speak highly of grinding the meat up for sausage. I'm sure meatballs would be great too. Grinding takes care of the texture issues you can have with old chickens. After you debone them to get the meat to grind, you can still make great broth with the bones.

Those old hens would make a fabulous chicken and dumplings and could be used to make Coq ay Vin instead of using an old rooster. Whatever you do, be sure to age them to get them past rigor mortis.

If you do use them for broth you can pick through the debris and get the meat out. It is great for chicken salad, chicken tacos, or to toss in soup. I use it for sandwiches for lunch.

Yes, yes I do. and its GOOD. But you can't use chicken fat, poultry fat doesn't get hard at room temp like pig fat or cow fat (goat fat is a bit "flavorful" - makes better soap, once its been boiled down). So bulk it out with fat from a pork shoulder/butt, a brisket, or a top/bottom round roast.

Any sausage recipe for pork works well with old chicken.

Yes, yes I do. and its GOOD. But you can't use chicken fat, poultry fat doesn't get hard at room temp like pig fat or cow fat (goat fat is a bit "flavorful" - makes better soap, once its been boiled down). So bulk it out with fat from a pork shoulder/butt, a brisket, or a top/bottom round roast.

Any sausage recipe for pork works well with old chicken.

*eyeing 5 unsold cockerels and wondering if my preppie SIL has a meat grinder*

Back
Top Bottom