Thoughts on this craigslist find or build from scratch?

sunnie7

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 24, 2016
Southern Indiana
Budget $500ish ($800 max). I have 4 bantams and want enough to room for 7 max. Here's what I'd ideally like to have but not sure if we'd be able to make it for budget. We should be able to get some scrap wood from the house being built on our street.

Or

Or I found this on Craigslist for $500 but offered $200 and they' said yes. What's your thoughts?

Budget $500ish ($800 max). I have 4 bantams and want enough to room for 7 max. Here's what I'd ideally like to have but not sure if we'd be able to make it for budget. We should be able to get some scrap wood from the house being built on our street.

Or
++

Or I found this on Craigslist for $500 but offered $200 and they' said yes. What's your thoughts?

It looks small and has some rotten boards on the front, but might be salvage-able and if not to bad the price is good. You have to do what you have to do. I have never bought a chicken coop, but some people want nice and fancy and some can not build their own. I just get a 10x10x6 ft tall chainlink used dog kennel for around $100 (some people just put chicken wire on the side then the first bull dog/big dog that wants your chickens rips the chicken wire off and kills them. No chicken wire for me) Make a coop. If you want a tin top that would cost some extra. I just put a wire top on and the chickens can go into the coop if its raining. Having a top is good, but requires more cleaning. Not having a top----the rain cleans every thing up as long as your ground does not get muddy. I got over 60 chicken pens and had over 1200 chickens at one time in them-----None have tin tops, but have coops to get out the rain. Works great. I got a friend that has coops---all with 10 tops, the smell is awful.

Depending on the size the one on craigslist would cost 2-3 times that much to build. I built ours but I love building so money was not a issue it just had to have a look that I was after. Of course the one online that I patterned our after is @ $4500.00. And I have about half that in it when I get finished. It is a lot bigger and a nicer built coop then the one online.

Scott

The CL find is a good price for the size. I built a pretty small coop 36x54" and 4' tall for a about $150, but I had the plywood, vinyl, and shingles lying around (not included in the $150). I have a very large run ~1000 sqft so my coop size is on the smaller side of things and I plan to have no more than 5 hens, currently 3. I am also not a super handy builder, which is why I opted for vinyl siding to cover all of my mistakes. I think the biggest problem with the CL find will be moving it. You're talking about picking up and moving a small building- if you have access to the means to move it I would go for it!

Back
Top Bottom