thoughts on this duck pen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lisamarie, Jun 1, 2010.

1. lisamarie

lisamarie Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    hi all,

wondering if you think this looks like a good duck pen? also would love to use it for geese if anyone knows about housing for geese. any things you would modify on it?

thanks so much. not sure how to post photo so hope this worked.

[​IMG]

2. lisamarie

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    by the way, nesting boxes are at the back. what kind of set up do ducks need for nesting boxes? similar to chickens? how many per bird?

dimensions on coop are 4' deep x 8' wide

thanks!

3. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I think that looks great! It is really similar to what I'm building right now, only I was going to do a side by side double door and each one of them will lift uprather than swing from the sides like a normal door. I might change it now though, that I see this. I was thinking about just providing nesting areas outside of the house since from what I've been reading it seems like the ducks are going to lay anywhere and everywhere anyway. Ours get let out very early, and go to bed late, so for us, this is just a sleeping house. Thanks for posting, I really like it. [​IMG]

4. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    BTW, do you have any problems with the legs racking, I was going to do some extra cross bracing, but would rather skip it. Don't suppose you would mind posting a pic of the underside where the legs join.....? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

When I built one like that(sorta anyway) i made the legs the full height of the front & back, it makes them way sturdier. I really like this coop though, looks very simple & easy to clean.

You may have to widen the ramps for the ducks. my Muscovies do fine on their ramp but it's kinda wide to accomidate thier wide-set legs. Geese are pretty clumsy though but it's worth trying, you can always put them in it multiple times to sort of teach them how to use it. My babies used the ramp a little but usually fell or jumped off the side, lol... they have a ground coop now [​IMG]

ETA: My ducks use the chicken nesting boxes just fine but some do prefer an enclosed box. just wait and see how they respond and change it if you need to.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    The hubby and I were thinking we might finish the ramps in a high gloss, pour some oil on them and throw the pool at the bottom... [​IMG]
    Duckie Slip and Slide, LOL.

Thanks for the tip about the posts, too late now, but I will be starting another when I finish this one so I'll change the design. I can see where that would be a lot stronger.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

You could still add brace boards around the legs for added support. [​IMG]

8. lisamarie

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    thanks for your responses everyone! yes, i will make the planks wider for sure. please chime in if you have any other ideas for modifications.
    thanks!
    lisa

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I assume the nesting boxes have a hinged roof, but is it one solid piece covering all of them? or seperate boards so only a few open at one time?

10. lisamarie

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    i believe it's one board covering all. is that okay?
    lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by