Thoughts on this egg

Lillith37

Specially interested in chickens
Jan 7, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any thoughts on this egg? I put a “normal” one next to it for comparison.

This egg came from a hen who hasn’t laid for awhile. It clearly has a very thick bloom which I could scrape off with my finger… but what causes that band in the colour?

The shell was a little bit thin.
The yolk and albumen was normal on the inside.

Attachments

• 59AFA242-3DB5-4DA9-9A4E-3F07F03BC103.jpeg
    59AFA242-3DB5-4DA9-9A4E-3F07F03BC103.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 27
We purchased 2 Americanas and a golden comet this summer who were mature laying hens. Our golden comet laid a few eggs like this a couple of days after getting her and then it cleared up. We did start feeding her egg shells for calcium and haven’t noticed it since. One of the Americans did the same thing now that I think of it but it too cleared up.

We purchased 2 Americanas and a golden comet this summer who were mature laying hens. Our golden comet laid a few eggs like this a couple of days after getting her and then it cleared up. We did start feeding her egg shells for calcium and haven’t noticed it since. One of the Americans did the same thing now that I think of it but it too cleared up.

Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear things evened out with your girls.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this egg? I put a “normal” one next to it for comparison.

This egg came from a hen who hasn’t laid for awhile. It clearly has a very thick bloom which I could scrape off with my finger… but what causes that band in the colour?
Just a coating glitch, it happens, nothing really to worry about.
The coating on dark brown or olive eggs is often easy to scratch,
again, nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom