Thoughts on using plastic pallets for flooring

littlebigchicks

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2020
We are in the process of moving our coop over to a new location and I was wanting to use plastic pallets for the flooring. Picture attached to show the layout (would be leveled before the coop moved into it).
Can I get some pros and cons of doing this versus just putting the coop back on the ground. We would fill in the holes of the pallets with drainage rock. Thanks!
20210516_170432.jpg

One pro could be drainage. It's elevated. One con is that chickens dig. A lot. They'll find the rocks and kick them around.

What do you plan to cover the pallets with?

I think it looks like a wonderful idea, get a power washer and it should clean up easy. Nothing can dig under it into your coop.

A concern I would have would be the difficulty cleaning the rocks in the lower part. Similar to having gravel in a run, poop will work it's way down into the rocks and be stinky and hard to clean out.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in about putting sweet pdz (something dense enough to walk on, but odour absorbing) in those pockets?

I'm guessing they'd go inside the coop walls as opposed to having the walls sit on top of them to keep critters from using the space underneath, and for structural reasons?

If you used sheet vinyl flooring, pond liner, something to act as a barrier, you could fill the holes with sand and have a smooth floor surface. If it's going to be really permanent, it wouldn't take too much concrete to fill in the holes.

If you can sort out the details, the skids would be a long lasting tough solution!

Last edited:
We are in the process of moving our coop over to a new location and I was wanting to use plastic pallets for the flooring. Picture attached to show the layout (would be leveled before the coop moved into it).
Can I get some pros and cons of doing this versus just putting the coop back on the ground. We would fill in the holes of the pallets with drainage rock. Thanks!
View attachment 2672774
great idea...but i would elevate the pallets 2-3’ off the ground and use no rock...then some stuff will fall through and you’ll get ventilation and your waterer will just drip onto the ground when the chickens drink. i quit using any bedding and if i did it all over, i would do what you’re doing.

great idea...but i would elevate the pallets 2-3’ off the ground and use no rock...then some stuff will fall through and you’ll get ventilation and your waterer will just drip onto the ground when the chickens drink. i quit using any bedding and if i did it all over, i would do what you’re doing.
if you get too much breeze you can just put a wood wall on the side below the coop to keep air from blowing straight up into the coop

Can I get some pros and cons of doing this versus just putting the coop back on the ground. We would fill in the holes of the pallets with drainage rock.
I see no pros to this set up.
Unstable foundation for long term.
What does your coop look like?
What is your geographical location?

Are there drainage holes in the divots of the plastic pallets? I'd hate to think of any spilled water collecting in those divots where poop dust and bedding dust would certainly filter down into the drainage rocks.
Even if the divots had drainage, they would still become filled with poops between the gravel added to them.

Back
Top Bottom