Thoughts on What Went Wrong!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunnyducks, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Sunnyducks

Sunnyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Hi all - just wondering if there is any advice out there for me - on a very steep learning curve. Today is day 24 for one dozen eggs, and finally I have two chicks that have hatched 3 days later than I expected. I'm a real beginner so I wonder whether anyone has any advice.

@Yorkshire Coop drew my attention to possible temperature issues slowing them (thank you!) but I'd be grateful for any more advice as I'm picking up silkie eggs later today and I really want to avoid the same poor hatch rate if it's something I'm doing - or not doing.

Out of 12 eggs, there was one late dead in shell, I found a pip but the chick was dead. Then two successful hatchings, and the others are clear, no question. So I'm wondering what was the most likely reason.

The eggs were all really dirty including the ones that hatched.
    I moved the incubator out to the shed after hatched 3 out of 6 ducks last month. It's noisy, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. It was near a window and there are wide fluctuations in the heat in the shed. The incubator seems surprisingly accurate in temperature and humidity whenever I've checked it. But if that was the cause, would it not have affected all of them?
    Could it have been that most if not all of the other 9 weren't fertile in the first place?

I'm getting the silkie eggs from someone else locally, and I just want to try to get everything right. I'll be moving the incubator back indoors so at least I can avoid the temperature fluctuations of outside night/day temps. I'm just confused why only 3 got started and the others didn't?

Thank you in advance, and grateful for your help.

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi. Im not an expert or anything but i can try answering your questions. Late hatching is usually caused by low temperatures as you said @Yorkshire Coop pointed out. Have you tested your thermometer against a calibrated one. Also I've heard that dirty eggs can contaminate them and lower hatch rate. And if that many were clear there were a lot of infertile eggs. Hope this helps

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm going to hop on the low temp train, and check all your thermometers and hygrometers prior to incubation. That is a very important step. A thermometer that is significantly off can cost you a whole hatch. (I found out the hard way on my very first attempt.)

Yes, having the incubator inside out of temp changes is best.

I would say fertility rate was low as well with a high amount of clears if the eggs were fresh. If they were stored 2 weeks or longer, the age could play a factor. If they were shipped eggs, that in itself could be #1 reason for so few developing.

My advice can be found in these two links. These are my methods for successful hatching:
    http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity (for my silkies I had to use 40-45% humidity instead of my normal 30% I use for my standard eggs.)
    http://hatching411.weebly.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by