Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SouthernSas505, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Hey!I'm new here. I have raised chickens for years but they were always mixed breeds, now that I've found homes for my previous flock (my neighbour asked for them and she's amazing) I am restarting. What are y'all's favorite breeds and why?
    Annnnd Go! Thanks in advance!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Guess it all depends on what you want to keep chickens for - meat, eggs (and or colours), dual purpose, eye-candy and how you intend to keep them (free range or not). I'm sure that there's lots of other variables to take into account.

This search may help you - choosing chicken breed chart

1 person likes this.
  3. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Oh the choices! I don't have just one favorite, but here are three from my top ten, in no particular order.

1. Orpington- Big and puffy with a nice, docile temperament. A good dual purpose breed, and the girls make very good mommas. The roos have been pretty even-tempered in my experience. I really like all the color varieties, but my favorite has and probably always will be Jubilee.

2. Sussex- Both of my Speckled Sussex hens have always been exceptionally curious and into things, which I really like about them. They are fair layers and just fun to have around.

3. Wyandotte- Another good dual purpose bird. Nicely tempered and beautiful, my favorite being Blue Lace Red. The hens I have are good layers, and my roo is a perfect gentleman.

A big x2 to CTKen. Your purpose for your birds also plays a heavy role in choosing breed. Best of luck to you!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies generally go broody often and can be used as "natural incubators," - they are also kid favorites.

1 person likes this.

5. Thank you!!! I'm going to look at the speckled Sussex and check them out real quick :)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree with Ken--favorite for what? My favorite layer, my favorite meat bird, my favorite broody, my favorite breeding project birds, my favorite eye candy.......what are you looking for in a bird?

7. vachick15

vachick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2015
    The Old Dominion
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speckled Sussex.

I have two speckled sussexes and I love them. They are so pretty and so sweet! Plus, they are great layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by