Thread for any one who wants to take incubation to the next level

I hear if you flip a coin there's a 50% chance of it landing heads and in willing to bet if you hatch an egg your odds might be similar haha

Quote:
I think you have a 50/50 chance of it being correct.

I think so too, but what gets me is that some people swear by them. They must subconsciously influence the way it swings.

Quote:
I don't think they would since initial research shows it effects the hatch rate. Since hatcheries in the business of hatching and since the eggs sex is determined before incubation the temps appear to only benefit those eggs that would have normally hatched one gender or the other in the first please.

This is not the first time I have heard the same thing about higher temps will kill off some male chicks giving you more females. I will say I run my bators at 100.5-101. Now I do sell lots of chicks as week olds, then again at 2-3 mths. I know for a fact I have more pullets, well acutally not one cockerel here far as I can tell atm. Not sure if that means I have a female line and my girls are just better (This being the reason they make the first 2 culls) or my incubation method is hathcing more girls. I provide ACV in water and run the bator a bit higher than reccommended. I do hatch on the 20th usually. Not saying I don't get males just that I don't have that many still around at the 2 mth age usually.
I am following this thread regardless. Maybe when I crank the bators back up I can post my results. I did give my hens 15 eggs today it will be interesting to see what they hatch.

A hatchery wouldn't be interested in a method that kills off male chicks, such as a higher incubation temperature. They're after a method that makes all of the eggs female, or some way to tell the sex of the egg before it's ever placed in an incubator. And either way, it needs to be cost efficient (which isn't easy to do when the "valuable" female chicks are worth a couple dollars each and the males are worth next to nothing).

Hatcheries don't want a method that causes most of the males to die in the shell. They can make more money selling male chicks than they can selling full term unhatched chicks that died in the shell.

The OP's original question
Hi all I was just wondering if anyone new if there was a way to incubate chicken eggs to get all females any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Which is why I answered with
I think if there was a fool proof way to hatch more females than males the hatcheries would have it figured out by now. Over hundreds of chicks hatched out the percentages are going to be about 50/50.

He didn't ask for theories on whether higher or lower temps hatch more of one than the other. If there was a way to hatch out all females and have no male chicks to mess with I guarentee the hatcheries would be doing it.....other than those who sell Cornish X meat birds.​

Back
Top Bottom