Thread for my new ducklings

Pics
yeah drakes go fir the below area,generlly unless its a young drake,takes them awhile to figure it all out.My hens usually always have bare necks,never heads.

She is a really nice looking duck.

Thanks!

How many drakes and ducks do you have? Will I have to deal with bare necks with one drake and 3 ducks?

yeah it's near the top. I will just go with the flow for now, it's not for sure a drake, and even if it is a drake I decided will still keep him, unless he becomes aggressive. I don't think drakes ripping off crest are common, people breed them all the time

Here's a picture that gets a good view of her crest
Pearl is gorgeous
love.gif

Thanks!

How many drakes and ducks do you have? Will I have to deal with bare necks with one drake and 3 ducks?
I had 3 with I think 9 females,but hens started getting killed and one died,so now it is just 4 hens and 2 drakes with a goose.They are starting to mate a lot more now so bare necks have not started.

@PearlTheDuck feather loss on back of necks is normal since the drake uses the feathers to hold on when mating, It's when it gets down to bare skin we have to separate and give the female some time to recover. Alot of members when a drake seems to like one female above the rest will give their drake time out it's just things we have to do to protect our girls from being over mated.

But you know fretting about it now when your babies are still so young is only going to bring you stress. So relax and enjoy those precious ones. I have 2 drakes with my females and neither abuse their girls thank goodness. So all drakes are not cut from the same cloth so to speak.
smile.png

@PearlTheDuck
  feather loss on back of necks is normal since the drake uses the feathers to hold on when mating, It's when it gets down to bare skin we have to separate and give the female some time to recover. Alot of members when a drake seems to like one female above the rest will give their drake time out it's just things we have to do to protect our girls from being over mated. 

But you know fretting about it now when your babies are still so young is only going to bring you stress.  So relax and enjoy those precious ones.  I have 2 drakes with my females and neither abuse their girls thank goodness. So all drakes are not cut from the same cloth so to speak. :)

Yeah your right, I have months until any of this starts. Thanks for the info :)

What breeds are your drakes? I see alot of people have Welsh Harlequins​

I was finally able to find chick grit today (both of my local feed stores have been sold out) so the babies had lettuce for the first time

Last edited:
Yeah your right, I have months until any of this starts. Thanks for the info
smile.png

What breeds are your drakes? I see alot of people have Welsh Harlequins

I was finally able to find chick grit today (both of my local feed stores have been sold out) so the babies had lettuce for the first time
I bet they enjoyed that treat.

Mine had lettuce today too. Always a big hit.

Hey, how common is it for crested ducks to have neurological issues?
The crested khaki has started acting different

He is the smallest out of the three, can't get in the pool but the other two can and he gets left behind sometimes. It could just be me being paranoid, it just stresses me out because Pete could never get in the pool and then a week later his seizures started, I can't go through that again. It's weird to me that he's smaller than the other khaki, especially if it was a drake i thought he'd be bigger?

Last edited:
Hey, how common is it for crested ducks to have neurological issues?
The crested khaki has started acting different

He is the smallest out of the three, can't get in the pool but the other two can and he gets left behind sometimes. It could just be me being paranoid, it just stresses me out because Pete could never get in the pool and then a week later his seizures started, I can't go through that again. It's weird to me that he's smaller than the other khaki, especially if it was a drake i thought he'd be bigger?
I think it's because their skull isn't closed all that is under that fluff on top of their heads is a bit of fatty skin.

Do you have a way for them to get into the pool steps or ramp?

Are you giving the little ones so supportive care like vitamins? You lil crested may benefit from some extra nutrients

@PearlTheDuck what makes you think your crested is a drake ?

Back
Top Bottom