three days additional waiting, then did the deed

janjan1

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Armuchee, GA
One of my hens was sitting on eggs. She finally hatched out three chicks on the 21st day. She still had about 6 left under her that had not hatched. She was not budging off the nest awaiting the others to hatch. I still waited three more days to see if they would hatch. Butter late then never? I was afraid for the three chicks that had already hatched, not getting any food or water etc,. I looked carefully at the remaining eggs, no signs of pipping, nothing. I figured that they were not gonna hatch so I removed her & her three chicks to a nice cage with plenty of food & water. I smelled the remaining eggs also. Still nothing. So I carefully opened one!! A chick, underdeveloped but alive. A sacrifice for nothing. So I figured the ramaining 5 were alive also. Since I had another hen sitting, I just marked these eggs and slid them under that hen. Was I correct in waiting three days, would you guys have done the same thing? OR did I jump the gun & should have waited longer? Meantime, the hatched three would possibly go a week or more with no nutrition waiting til the others hatched. Suggestions?

TIA
Jan

Back
Top Bottom