Three ducks with different issues. Any ideas?

Brings Plenty

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 1, 2017
Kansas City
Background: I have 13 domestic duck rescues....I clean their pen daily, thoroughly....fresh water and sometimes even twice daily (including 3 kiddie pools).....Kelp Crumbles added to their feed (Purina Duck Feed), Meal Worms and Romain Lettuce....DAILY. I turn them out in the yard for grass and bugs for at least an hour every day. That said, I have three girls having some issues.......

Case 1: Bae-Bae' (Blue Bibbed Call Duck) has a puffy cheek below her eye to her bill. Its soft and squishy. No nasal discharge and she seems to like it when I gently rub on it. Any ideas????

Case 2: Betty (Black Swedish) over the last couple months has started panting and looking worried on occasions. Especially after she poops. She will stop what she's doing and pant....her entire abdomen and lower abdomen area looks like it's labored breathing. She does get hot due to her color and size but I'm afraid it may be something else. Not an impact because she eats great and poops. I de-wormed her a couple weeks ago thinking that may be an issue but nothing changed. She gets real excited sometimes and jets around in the pools and will have to stop and pants hard. Afraid it may be some sort of tumor???? I truly hope not but am concerned about her lower abdomen. She lays eggs (though large) daily. Her vent is looking better after de-worming. Just wondering if someone else had a similar issue???

Case 3: India (female mallard....yes, yes, an actual mallard but domesticated) She is a tiny gal, pretty much lost her voice. She's super dedicated to her nest right now, no males with her, just scratchy, barely there voice. Acts perfectly cute and feisty otherwise. ?

Thanks for any information y'all can share. These are all rescues that I love dearly....they're like my kids.

Hi there.
how long has Bae-bae had the swelling? could she have tangled with a bee?
the other two sound like they're at various stages of broodiness.
Hey there! Thanks for replying back to me. Bae-Bae has been like this for well...coming up on a month. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all. 😐 Which is what baffles me. She's cool with me rubbing it....kind of puts her in a trance. 🤤 I will just keep a close eye on it and monitor it I guess. Thanks for the thought of it may being broodiness. I love this big ole girl. She's the most congenial duck in our group, tries to stop fights and always leads the whole flock to the fenced in backyard for "turn out time". Gonna keep a close eye on all of my kiddos. The Betty issue has had me up at night at times. I keep a Ring doorbell camera in their pen and I check in occasionally when I can't sleep at night. 🤪

Ok y'all...heres some photos with further explanation.

Attachments

• BaeBae Normal Side.jpg
    BaeBae Normal Side.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 7
  • baebae side description.jpg
    baebae side description.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 7
  • BaeBaeFront.jpg
    BaeBaeFront.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 7
Still waiting on my vet to call back. There's only a hand full of avian vets here in KC. Betty....with the heavy breathing....I realize theres flys around her vent. I got ahold of her and it's stinky. Maybe an infection too???? In the mean time while waiting for my vet should I wash her vent and perhaps spray vetricine (sp) that bird friendly spray on it?????

Yes and check her vent to make sure no maggots are going in and out. I know gross but I had an EE hen years ago that must have had an egg break inside of her and when I found her hiding in the goose house she was so far gone we put her down but I'll never forget those maggots. If she has maggots soak her in saltwater

Back
Top Bottom