In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Gainesville Florida
It's in the title, what should I do
1f601.png
1f633.png
1f612.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your going to need to either get rid of those three roosters or else keep one and get seven more hens to go with him. The recommended rooster to hen ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters will at some point be very physically hard on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without the aggression, fighting, feeding of non-productive mouths, crowing in the middle of the night, over-breeding and battering of hens that goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free, and enjoying life without any roosters around. You will either need to re-home or eat your roosters. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with in removing your roosters.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Michael X2 That is way too many roosters and you should still add to your flock. You might do some chatting in your state thread to see if you might rehome 2 of them and maybe pick up a few more hens. Or rehome all of the roosters. You don't need roos unless you want fertile eggs. The hens will be much happier without them. Here is the link to your state thread...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

Good luck and I hope you can find them some nice homes.

Back
Top Bottom