Three little chicks needing identification/gender...veeery pretty

Annie75

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Hi guys

Here are three little 7.5 week old chicks from a mixed batch of bantams being raised by my Silkie, Lulu.

These ones came from eggs marked 'pekin frizzle'. While they are definitely bantams I'm unsure of what kind. In your opinion are they pekins? I'm thinking the black lacy looking one looks like it's crossed with a silkie, in real life this is a stunning bird and has the most gorgeous ostrich feather type tail curling over toward it's back. As for the other two barred ones, one is frizzley but one seems to be not frizzley at all. Can that happen occasionally?

Also would you mind telling me whether you think they're male or female?

I've got a feeling the little lacey black one is male because his head feathers are so narrow (that's what silkie males look like when they're little). The other two I can't tell except they seem to have the little side dangly bits....you can tell I'm an amatuer
big_smile.png
Oh and while you're at it...somebody STOP ME, I want to keep them all!

100225_lacechookie.jpg

100225_pekinfrizzle.jpg

100225_boots.jpg

They look like Pekins. I think you're right about the first one being crossed with Silkie. The two Barred ones are roosters for sure. And, yes, they can have chicks that are either frizzled or regular feathered.

They do look like pekins.....very similar to the cochins. And the second and third ones are sooooo cute...I'm guessing male because of how much comb and wattles they have.....I'm iffy on the first one because it doesn't have as much comb and wattles. You could be right about the silky being mixed in, because the feathering looks very silkie-ish, but it sure doesn't show in the leg coloring or the toes.......

I just love a frizzle! Thanks for showing the pics, they are just darling!

Your first one is probly a sizzle (silkie x frizzle). Silkies have 5 toes and a head poof, whick it has. Both parents had to have the (resessive) silkie gene for the chick to show silkied feathering. Frizzling is dominate, they either have it or they don't. You shouldn't breed frizzle to frizzle, you could get frazzled chicks, and their feathers are so brittle their feathers break easily. If they all had the same dad, then most likely the dad was frizzle(with a silkie gene), and this chicks mom was either silkied or carries the silkie gene.

Your secong looks like a frizzle.

The last is smooth feathered.

The last 2 are boys, the first might be a girl.

the last 2 are probley going to be roos. if you want to breed the frizzles make sure if you use the roo that you breed to a none frizzled hens. if the first is a hen she will need a none frizzle roo(you could usr the last roo for her) but again i can not tell what sex the first one is.

1st. probley a sizzle ~ does look rooish
2nd. frizzle ~ roo
3rd. smooth frizzle ( can be breed to a frizzle feather hen...i think ) ~ roo

Thank you so much everyone. They are soooo stunningly beautiful. There's no way the local council will let me keep Roosters. Seriously if I was in the US, some of you would be receiving a peeping post pak!

The first one really is so beautiful, I've never seen anything like him. I'm going to try to get the best possible homes for them because I'm very attached. They're 7.5 weeks old now, when should they be rehomed?

Back
Top Bottom