Three Little City Chickens

Mommahiggy

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2016
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Greetings!

After years of wanting, saying, and contemplating the city ordinance against chickens, we finally got three fluffy babies June 16th. Though I tried to get the process started before we got them, my builders are finally in process (older son and hubby). It is Summer, and they have a good yard, so we're managing okay, and they should have their coop inside an existing kennel by September for sure. We've been bringing them inside at night, but it just occurred to me, from a forum post here, that we could take their dog cage outside now, shelter it, and shut them in that at night.

Over the past few years, I had noticed and talked to a few people who have chickens in town, one across the street from the police station. As we finally dug in, I checked online, as I had easily found it before, and I am glad to say that it appears our town has dropped anything specifically about chickens, since nuisance and roaming animal laws will cover anyone not taking good care. State law already says no roosters. That's a bit of a relief.

I have been reading here for a few months and decided I should join up, since we are among your ranks for real.

I have videos of our chicks and progressing coop; that link is in my profile "my coop".

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I am also a city chicken owner. I found out when my neighbor across the street from us had them. I could hardly believe it..I could have chickens! Enjoy!

Hi and welcome to BYC - great news that you can keep chickens! You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre 
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads. 

You may wish to consider joining your state thread  as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom