Three Toulouse geese that constantly shake there heads like they have a runny nose

Blessings

Hatching
May 4, 2015
I originally had a pair of toulouse geese but the papa died of a fungal problem in his lungs three years ago.
Then the mama began shaking her head as if she has runny type nose.
She had a son who is 4 years old and does the same thing.
I recently added a gander toulouse goose and now he is doing the same thing.
They seem healthy otherwise.
They have a good size barn yard penned in and get out a minimum of 2 hours a day to walk and eat grass.
They have a 12' x 12' enclosed barn.
I always keep a deep bucket filled with clean water.
and they have numerous pools.
I feed them scratch, layer pellets, always keep oyster shells available to them (2 chickens live with them)
and we give them leftovers, apples, veggies etc...
They have never been vaccinated for anything.
Mama is sitting on 5 eggs now.
They are awesome pets and happy and loved.
I would greatly appreciate advice on what I need to do. I hate to see them shake there heads like this all the time.

I originally had a pair of toulouse geese but the papa died of a fungal problem in his lungs three years ago.
Then the mama began shaking her head as if she has runny type nose.
She had a son who is 4 years old and does the same thing.
I recently added a gander toulouse goose and now he is doing the same thing.
They seem healthy otherwise.
They have a good size barn yard penned in and get out a minimum of 2 hours a day to walk and eat grass.
They have a 12' x 12' enclosed barn.
I always keep a deep bucket filled with clean water.
and they have numerous pools.
I feed them scratch, layer pellets, always keep oyster shells available to them (2 chickens live with them)
and we give them leftovers, apples, veggies etc...
They have never been vaccinated for anything.
Mama is sitting on 5 eggs now.
They are awesome pets and happy and loved.
I would greatly appreciate advice on what I need to do. I hate to see them shake there heads like this all the time.

I remember my goose last Spring used to do this when she was younger. But she didn't do it much when she was older.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7983427&start=0

I found this thread on another forum, maybe consider a check up? Birds often wait until the last minute to show that they are sick or injuired because they are prey animals, and the weak are always picked off first. Once they do show obvious signs, it can go down hill very fast. Not saying this would happen to your birds, but if you're REALLY concerned and can't get it out of your head, a vet is always a good option.

It seems like they've all been doing this for a while now? Or has this just recently begun? Hopefully it's nothing your poppa gander died of.

Put ACV in their water.
1-2 Tablespoons to 1 gal of water for head washing, but you also need to look for mold in and around where they are living. Poultry are very sensitive to mold and if there is any it needs to be taken care of quick especially before the gosling hatch. mold loves damp wet areas so around water containers feed containers bedding all of that needs to be look after and around and under anything laying around inside the barn. Aspergillois [sp] is a big killer of water fowl especially geese.

Back
Top Bottom