Three week old ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Best Duck, Nov 29, 2013.

1. The Best Duck

The Best Duck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    My three-four week old ducklings are getting little feathers below and above their wings and also on their tails, is this normal ?
    Also is it okay to put them outside at this age in summer in a dog kennel ? Thanks

2. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]

Are you in the Southern Hemisphere?
    Yes, three week olds can be outside during warmer days and particularly like to be on low cut grass during the daytime. Just make sure they can get into a heated area so as not to catch a chill. Remember that between three and six weeks they should be able to be in temps between 65-70 degrees. Keep them warm on cooler nights until eight weeks.

Can you build a predator-proof enclosure for them? I have a small coop on wheels with handles similar to a wheelbarrow that I could wheel my little ones around the yard so they were not always in the same place.

3. The Best Duck

The Best Duck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2013
    I have them in a bird aviary thats pretty big. Yes im in the southern hemisphere. So does that mean I should bring them up to the patio every night and not down the back ?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What are your temps day and night, that will depend on where they can be kept. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by