Throw away eggs?

Respiratory problems/diseases can mimic gapeworm infection. Gapeworm eggs on soil can be picked up by other birds and infect them as well.
The only way to tell if your birds have gapeworms is to submit fecal samples to a vet for a fecal testing for worm eggs.
Are your birds eating and drinking? If so, it's not gapeworms.

Yes, they are all eating and drinking. My hen with symptoms eats poops and even gives eggs. Her crop was completely empty this morning. I do not have any place to take for fecal samples unless a regular vet could do that. I’ve had her for about 8 months, the whole
Flock, and she’s has always wheezed.
I’ve treated her for upper respiratory infection, parasites, I’ve done absolutely everything but she still wheezes.

I’m at my wits end!

Unfortunately, respiratory diseases cause birds to be carriers for life. They can be treated, but not cured of the disease. Anytime there is stress in a flock, respiratory disease symptoms may reappear at any time.

Have you checked for anything in the environment that could cause your hen to wheeze?
Examples would be feed dust, dust from dust bathing, excess dander, pollen, pesticide use, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, improper ventilation inside the coop etc...

If I were only eating the eggs myself, and not selling or giving them away, I'd consider the possible effect of the amount of fenbendazole in an egg, vs my own body weight.

Here's another thread on the topic:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nbendazole-what-is-egg-withdraw-time.1286162/

And here's a document from USDA. Page 2/7 tells the dose the industrial egg places are allowed to use on their hens, with no withdrawal period:
https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/LSFenbendazole.pdf

Bare in mind, the government document may have been a result of pressure from industry, due to overregulation (excessive burden on the business), etc, so you'll just have to decide for yourself how to weigh the evidence if you deviate from the 2 weeks vs weighting how much actual fenbendazole you'd be eating (based on chicken's absorption of the chemical), etc.

Back
Top Bottom