Thrush

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Hello, we have a 3 year old rooster with what I am sure is Thrush. We have not had this problem before. He has white spots all over his mouth and throat.
He is having a problem breathing and crowing but is still eating. We have been treating him for a week with anitibiotics, which did help some, because we thought he had a respiratory infection, but yesterday we discovered the spots. I have to order Acidified Copper Sulfate and these days it's hard to say how quickly
we can get it. I have some very old Medistatin that I ordered years ago for a bird with another problem. Is it still safe to use? I know in most cases the
answer would be yes, it's just not as effective., but I don't know about this stuff. We also will start him on Probiotics but I just wondered if anyone else has any thoughts about the use of the old Nystatin, and is there anything else i can try besides the Acidified Copper Sulfate. We can try swabbing his mouth with Iodine but he struggles to to breathe when we do that that I'm reluctant to. Please let me know, if anyone has any experience with this.

Attachments

• 1614.jpeg
    1614.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 19
,ok good thanks for the dosage info. He doesn't like wet food at all. He does love grapes and yellow tomatoes but I have to be tricky to get him to eat all the meds! And thanks for the verification. We've hD canker cases before but never thrush, that I remember.

UPDATE. He is much beter, but he still has white lining the edge of his throat and some marshmallow looking white stuff on the floor of his mouth, according to my husband, who was helping me. The photo documentation he tried to take is pretty bad because Patrick the rooster was struggling, etc. We were gone most of last week and had a pet sitter caring for him. I'm assuming he gave Patrick the required dose. When we returned the ACS had arrived that I ordered, and I started him on that on Saturday. Should I continue with the Medistatin and use both? His last dose of Medistatin was also Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom