Thyoid scan

MarcyR1011

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
Hemlock Michigan
Hi,

I'm newer to raising chickens and I'm going to be having a Thyroid Scan. I wanted to know if it's ok to be around my chickens after it's done? I have around 28 laying right now(many different breeds) and 32 Isa that are only 3-1/2 months old and I'd hate for anything to happen to them. Any one have any experience with this?

Thank you!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Yorkshire coop; if you haven't done so already, definitely post on our Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures section and take advantage of our experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi,

I'm newer to raising chickens and I'm going to be having a Thyroid Scan. I wanted to know if it's ok to be around my chickens after it's done? I have around 28 laying right now(many different breeds) and 32 Isa that are only 3-1/2 months old and I'd hate for anything to happen to them. Any one have any experience with this?

Thank you!

So Marcy: You will be ingesting or getting IV radioactive material for your scan? If they recommend you stay away from children for a few days...which I think you might...then you can assume the same goes for chickens. I would call and ask the nurses about 1/2 life of the injectible or radiographic dye they'll be using or what have you. If they say you need some isolation time that would apply to your chickens as well.

Ok, That's what I'm thinking too! I've tried finding information all over on this and have been unsuccessful. The only thing I've found is to "limit" contact with dogs and cats to less than 3 minutes at a time and not to be close to them for long time periods. I'm very protective of them and they are very spoiled! Love my chickens!

I'm also having an issue where one of my Bantams is hiding eggs and she has now recruited 2 other bantams and an aracauna into nesting with her. Every time I find the hidden nest she creates a new one somewhere else. Is there any way to fix this? Would it work if when I find the hidden nest to take the eggs out and replace them with golf balls?

Well what you can try is put curtains on the nest box...to make her think those are the "best secret spots ever." LOL Often times hens will all share a nest box...because if one is using it then it must be the best " secret spot to lay eggs." They do learn from each other.

I think if you do quick chores and nothing more-lingering, etc- they should be fine. washing hands before...etc...and maybe so much as a shower before will limit their exposure. Especially if there is no other person to help you with chicken chores. I would just do it probably...using those recommendations for for cats and dogs.

YES! I have discovered that! I have 11 nesting boxes and they all lay mainly in 2! It's exciting to go out there and see how many are laid in each one every day! Gives me something to look forward to every day! I might try the curtain thing... with my luck they will probably tear them down! lol

Back
Top Bottom