Tibetan coturnix not laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 6Chickens&counting, Jan 3, 2013.

1. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    My tibetan quail are 4 months old and have not layed a single egg yet. Maybe it is just because its winter..... Anyone please let me know. Thank you! :)

2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Tibetan quail are one color that is difficult to sex. The only sure way to know is if they are active or the roo crows. Do you have a roo or all they hens? If they're hens it may be possible that they won't lay without a roo.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  3. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    I have eight and sometimes at night I will hear partial crow from one. I've also noticed the back of the hens feathers are missing around the neck and head area. I came up with two conclusions: the other hens are Fighting with a eachother or the rooster is mating with them. They are outside so it may just be the lack of light?

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    How peculiar that they're not laying yet. The light will affect this, but usually young birds like that will lay anyway.

Are your other birds laying? How much?

It's a long shot, but you might want to check the water that comes out of your hose for chemicals. An ordinary home water test will do the trick--make sure it tests for chemicals, not just pH and bacteria, etc. Last year, I discovered my hose was leaching chemicals into the water that had suppressed laying for ALL of my birds (ducks, chickens, AND quail).

Installed a carbon filter, and they started laying again a few months later.

Another possibility is that you have an egg thief--maybe a small snake is stealing the eggs? Can any other small animals get in there--maybe a rat?

Good luck figuring it out. How frustrating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by