Tick Apocalypse HELP

FlChickenMama

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2016
Central FL
So my dogs are covered head to toe in tiny little ticks. My husband works for a professional exterminating company so he is treating the entire yard and the kennel. We bathed and medicated the dogs also cut back any brush that is touching the kennel.

Here are my concerns:
A) Excuse my ignorance but do these ticks also get on chickens and if so how should I treat the chickens?
B) The chemical says its fine for animals to walk on after it dries but I'm concerned that the chickens will eat poisoned/dead bugs and get sick. How long should I keep them in the coop 2-3 days, a week, until God comes back?

Thank you

Tis the season for ticks. When it comes to pesticides I haven't used any yet out of fear that it may make my birds sick. My birds are all out grazing and foraging all day long and I haven't seen any ticks on them at all. I treat my dog with Bravecto and it has worked really well. I hope this was somewhat helpful.

@Chestnuthouse thank you, I really hate to spray anything. I would like to let the chickens just take care of the ticks in the yard but I must have gotten 30-40 off of my poor beagle.

After a month or two, and you are done treating the yard and dogs, (if you're zoned) I'd buy 3 or 4 guinea fowl. They are great for controlling tick populations
-Liv

@BabyandCotton I would love to have some guinea unfortunately we don't have the room. I hear they are loud as well. I'm not really sure I should even have chickens, although my neighbor has a pig and I've had my hens for 4 years. I don't want to push it
roll.png

@FlChickenMama at the very least treat the dogs. Also, what kind of ticks were they? Just curious I'm a former city boy that just recently moved out to the country about a year ago, and ticks have been one of the things I worry about the most.

Oh yeah, I went right out and got some advantage for both dogs. They ones I pulled off of him where just regular brown dog tick not the ones that carry Lyme disease. I'm not taking any chances though I have a 2 year old who loves to snuggle with the dogs. Its just strange because they got a bath about a week and a half ago and I didn't see any at all. I wondering if i should throw some sevin around the chicken run just to be safe?

Back
Top Bottom