Tick Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Okay so no there was no tick on my chickens but the problem is there was a small tick crawling on my wall next to my bed. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but I'm wondering how it got inside. I have certain chicken clothes: Sweats and a sweatshirt I throw over because of mud and chicken poop, along with boots (fabric not rubber). I keep these clothes on the floor in my room. If I brought this tick in from the chickens how can I:
1. keep ticks away from my chickens
2. KEEP THEM OUT OF MY HOUSE AND AWAY FROM ME!!

(i do NOT like ticks, especially by my bed where I sleep.

I wouldn't keep your chicken clothes on your floor.I bought a small trash can with a lid for mine I keep in the garage. I would spray your coop and dust them just to be sure but the tick could have came from anywhere. Nasty things for sure!!

I use diluted pirazole fipronil sprayed directly on my bedding, draperies, around the windows, floorboards and ceiling moulding, and on my dogs. Miraculously rids your home of ticks. Availability varies country to country, so check with your feed store to see if it's available there.

WARNING: DO NOT SPRAY THIS ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR POULTRY OR ON ANYTHING THEY TOUCH OR EAT
It is very toxic to poultry, especially quail & chickens.

they will handle the ticks, eat them when they clean themselves, or when they dustbathe

for you, shake out your clothes outside, put them in a plastic bag when you come inside, too. Check your body when you come inside also.

To answer all your questions: I have tried to use a dust bath (box or container) in the past and they barely used it. Since there run is dry dirt they dust bathe anywhere they make a big hole. I do not have a garage but I'm afraid If I keep the clothes in a bag or bin spiders and all that will find their way in. Yes, I have a fear of spiders. But rn I am washing the clothes and springtime giving the chickens a check-up day.

My chickens will eat the ticks they find. But unfortunately for us, it comes down to checking yourself very carefully after being outside. remove all clothes and check (Hair too). Keep the outside clothes/shoes in a contained area or launder the clothes. Ticks only need to crawl on you or grab onto you when you walk by, they are evil. Get a tick removal kit. And you have to crush, drown or burn the ticks, make sure you kill them when you find them. Do not let them live. They have no purpose other than to cause illness to people and animals. By the way, I hear that possums are tick-eating machines.

Back
Top Bottom