Tiger Swallow Pigeons

ArizonaNessa

Joyfully Addicted
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Texas
First let me say I am totally a chicken person. I know nothing about pigeons other than how to care for them. My husband on the other hand loves the fancy pigeons and he recently found something called Tiger Swallow Pigeons. They are so pretty they look almost not real but I have gone on google and read a little about them. I saw pictures of them in cages at a show so they must be real and I was wondering if anyone had a little info about how I would go about acquiring a pair for my husband. If someone has info I would greatly appreciate it.
frow.gif

Thanks so much. Now you see why at first I thought they were not real. They are very awesome looking.

National Pigeon Club

http://www.npausa.com/

If i remember correct, these have feather that get lighter each molt. This was a story I was told many years ago. Saw some in person ,but never had any.

So they pluck every other feather, until they are white. take about 6 week for them to grow back. After a few months you get a bird with feathers black white black white,and so on.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Pigeons/Swallow/BRKTiger.html

Last edited:
Quote:
OMG I would never do that to a bird or any other creature just to make a cool looking pattern.
hit.gif
I was hoping they came that way. Thanks for the links anyway. I will keep hoping.

OMG...okay not interested in them now I would never want to do that to a bird....im with the OP, if it doesnt occur that way in the breedings themselves then nope not interested
hit.gif

Maybe this is the reason I could not find any clubs just for Tiger Swallows. I can find tons of clubs dedicated to every other type of pigeon/swallow on the planet but none just for tiger swallows. hmmm I was hoping you were misinformed Deerman but I am starting to think you are right. How sad. I am kinda bummed now but thats okay frizzlebacks are pretty awesome looking too and I am willing to bet they come that way without human help.

Need to double check , with someone who has raised them. That was the reason I never raised them. If this story was true the bird would turn all white over the years.

A breeder told me that years ago, but I have not try it myself.

Quote:
I am confused. Why do you think plucking feathers is cruel? Pigeon feathers can come out just be holding them. Plucking feathers is done for several reasons...plucking around the vent for improving fertility in loose feathered birds, plucking broken wing feathers in flying birds so they can fly properly (outfly hawks). Keeping stray feathers out of eyes (jacobins etc).

Back
Top Bottom