Tilting Vs Turning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GPN, Aug 27, 2008.

1. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    [​IMG] New to hatching, build a bator like MissPrissy with my own tweaks and I was wondering about tilting bator instead of turning eggs.

Turning eggs end to end or Around. Eggs are big end up now and my temp steady at 99.2 and 46% hum. Thanks in advance! hugs

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    If you tilt the bator won't your water come out? And it's side to side for turning the eggs. don't turn them end to end, the large end needs to be at the top for the air bubble. Do it an odd number of times a day like 3. I read a lot of people are putting their eggs in an egg carton and with a piece of wood under them and just moving the wood from one side to the other for turning. I like the egg cartons because it's a lot less mess then they hatch. Hope that helps and more will help you. Good luck and good vibes coming your way. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    Quote:Right now I have no water in it because it is between 35%-45% and that where it needs to be right for now on Day 1 set 8-26-08 10pm air temp is swng between 96- 105 when I get my thermostat might fix that the homemade water wiggler busted on me so it is out right now til i go to town! [​IMG]

4. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I don't get the 'side to side' thing...

I know I am so lame, but a picture (of before turning, and after turning) would beat a thousand words!

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Typically the eggs are placed in eggs cartons and whole carton is tilted side to side. I don't think most people tilt the whole bator, but I'm not sure.

6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    no you don't tilt the bator...just the eggs in the carton.. if you tilt the bator you would have water every where [​IMG]

you just tilt the egg carton with the eggs in it 3+ times a day

have something under the carton to keep it tilt then when it's time to tilt to the other side just put whatever you have holding that one side of the carton up on the other side

7. BellaTweety

BellaTweety Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Did anyone ever find out if tilting had sufficient hatch rates? :) I'm about to do a hatch and want to know what turning method has the best hatch rates

8. BellaTweety

BellaTweety Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Anyone?

9. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    My cabinet incubator just tilts the eggs and gets 90 percent plus.

There are a few on here that hand turn and get that as well.

As long as they are turned/tilted so the embryo doesn't stick to the shell you should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by