Timber owls... a danger in daylight?!?

OK... They came back this morning @ about 4 am... full moon and a flashlight... but they didn't want to be seen... heard me coming (crunchy Fall leaves on the ground)... left as soon as I got close to the tree they were in.

But I paid close attention to their call, in case someone could identify them by their call...

"Whoo who-who Who whoo" long short-short long long first 4 notes up, last note down

They called this one series and then waited for the one down by the creek to respond w/the exact same call.

Before you tell me that I can listen to different calls on line, I need to tell you that the sound on my computer is gone... sorry.

Ok, I know this is a bunch of skilled people out there on BYC... so do I have someone who is skilled in owl calls?!?

... and thanks for all the info so far... and the pics are beautiful !

From your description of the call it sounds like barred owls. If you can fit the words "who cooks for you? who cooks for youall" into the "tune" of the hoot that's what you have.

From what has been posted on here, I guess that Barred owls would be better and less risky for my chicks than a Great Horned. Will continue to try to spot them... so far 3 nights in a row.

Back
Top Bottom